Default Beaver Valve Job

I have a S370D four wheel drive Beaver which is in pretty good shape for it's age, but the engine exhaust has black smoke all the time and more so when it's working. It doesn't seem to use oil and a valve adjustment doesn't seem to eliminate the exhaust smoke. Would it be advisable to do a valve job without overhauling the whole engine even though it probably has a substantial amount of hours on it? I don't think any of the Beavers had hour meters installed when they were new, but it's probably an early eighties model. Does anyone have Bill Rodgers contact information or any other parts dealer for the Beavers?

Thanks,
    Thom

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

Default Re: Beaver Valve Job

Black smoke is usually the sign that the fuel mixture is too rick. Try adjusting the carb and see what happens.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

I didn't mention that my Beaver is a diesel because I assumed they didn't come with gas engines. I assume the black smoke could mean that the injectors are worn or dirty and it could also be from a lack of compression causing incomplete combustion. However, I haven't gotten around to doing a compression check yet. This is the first diesel engine I've owned and I'll just have to look at all the possibilities while troubleshooting.

Thanks,
    Thom

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

Check your air filter. If it it clogged you will get black smoke.

I would check the injectors to see if they are spraying right.If they are fine i would check the injection pump.We stock the parts to fix it.

Paul
    Smallimporttractor
    503-628-6319

Black smoke is caused by 2 things, it is either over fueled (bad injector(s)), or under aired (plugged air filter or collapsed intake hose). Low compression will cause white or blue smoke.

Brian

Silver Member

Too much fuel and not enough air is your problem. I assume you checked the air filter and if that was not it, a remote possibility could be a clogged muffler for what ever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner1 View Post
    I have a S370D four wheel drive Beaver which is in pretty good shape for it's age, but the engine exhaust has black smoke all the time and more so when it's working. It doesn't seem to use oil and a valve adjustment doesn't seem to eliminate the exhaust smoke. Would it be advisable to do a valve job without overhauling the whole engine even though it probably has a substantial amount of hours on it? I don't think any of the Beavers had hour meters installed when they were new, but it's probably an early eighties model. Does anyone have Bill Rodgers contact information or any other parts dealer for the Beavers?

Thanks,
    Thom
    I have now replaced the air filter again without a lot of hours on it and put diesel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. That made a big difference in reducing the smoke output. These Beavers are not set up well with the exhaust coming out at the hood level. The cooling fan picks up any amount of smoke and blows it back under the hood just beside the air filter housing.

Thanks for everyones input,
    mariner1

Tractor
    Which one?

If you get your transmission issue resolved, you might consider doing as I did to my exhaust. Not only is your engine getting to inhale exhaust, so are you. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/m...r-exhaust.html
    I like to play in the dirt....
    Satoh Beaver w/Blackhawk loader & hoe.
    JD855 w/stuff.