Wiring my starter Satoh ST 2640 D

/ Wiring my starter Satoh ST 2640 D #1  

Karamin Morgans

Tractor
Satoh ST 2640D
I just got a used starter for my Satoh ST 2640D, tractor from West Kentucky tractor parts, (nice people). The mechanic that tried fixing the original starter had both the black (ignition switch) and the white (altenater) attached to the hot side of the starter posts. This can't be right because the jumper cables I used to start the tractor became overheated. I have the black wire on the hot or positive lead and the white on the ground or negative lead, which makes sense to me. However the generator light on the dash stays on after starting the tractor and the buzzer stays on as well. What is wrong with my setup? I would appriciate any help I can get. Thanks

/ Wiring my starter Satoh ST 2640 D #2  
it is possible that your tractor has a wiring issue. the white wire from the generator/alternator output should not be grounded. the metal frame of the alternator is the ground.so if you have the output of the alternator to ground you have shorted the alternator possible damageing it.the charge light will stay on cause the alternator is wired wrong and not charging the battery.use a meter to check the circuits.