Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beaver S-370D

Anyone with a Beaver tractor or any other small brand should be very CAREFUL if you use a rough cut mower with these machines. I have always tried to elevate the 3 ft. mower when using it in rough areas, but I eventually hit a stump and locked up the drive train. The PTO will not move more than a quarter of a turn when disengaged and the starter will not turn the engine over with the clutch pedal depressed.

The next step is to get it in the garage so it can be dismantled to see how much damage is there. I can only hope that there are parts available somewhere to make the repairs.

Tractor
    Which one?

Default Re: Beaver S-370D

Somebody on here was parting out a Beaver recently, maybe you can get what you need from them?
    I like to play in the dirt....
    Satoh Beaver w/Blackhawk loader & hoe.
    JD855 w/stuff.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800, 15 hp 372 Mitsubishi

If the eng will not turn over with the clutch pedal depressed then something really isn't quite right, the clutch is what couples the eng to the drive train. Have you tried to start it with it in neutral?
    Will the tractor roll in neutral?
    You may have just sheared the clutch disk or something like that.
    Kubota L2800HST, Mitsubishi 372, bh75, 45" Agric tiller, 5' home made disk, 42" Bush hog, PHD, 66" Cammond BB.

Quote Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
    If the eng will not turn over with the clutch pedal depressed then something really isn't quite right, the clutch is what couples the eng to the drive train. Have you tried to start it with it in neutral?
    Will the tractor roll in neutral?
    You may have just sheared the clutch disk or something like that.
    Yes, I tried it in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed. Since the transmission and PTO adaptor box both now seem to rotate without binding, it seems like the lockup is isolated within the clutch area. I'm guessing that the clutch is destroyed and hopefully the input shaft to the transmission is still ok. It's now just the matter of finding spare time to take the mid section apart. The standard shear bolt in the 3 ft. rotary mower is obviously too strong for a Beaver and has to be somehow downsized.

Tractor
    Which one?

The Woods mower I ran behind our Beaver had neither slip clutch nor shear bolts. The drive was via belts and it would slip easily.
    I like to play in the dirt....
    Satoh Beaver w/Blackhawk loader & hoe.
    JD855 w/stuff.

Veteran Member

I can supply new or used parts.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    198? Satoh Buck S470d

Just a quick theory: My Satoh has a switch that gets depressed when the clutch is engaged. The tractor will not turn over if that switch is not depressed. I wonder if you may be able to check that switch. I did notice that when I bought my tractor, that switch was MUCH shinier than the other components by far, and was probably replaced before the owner put it in storage for a good many years.
    198? S470D Satoh Buck

The switch on my Beaver has been bypassed with a direct line to the starter switch. I should have time this weekend to take the midsection apart and see what the problem is. I'm not sure if the "O" ring seals on the hydraulic lines are reusable on this model or not.

Thanks

Tractor
    Kubota L2800, 15 hp 372 Mitsubishi

Quote Originally Posted by mariner1 View Post
    The switch on my Beaver has been bypassed with a direct line to the starter switch. I should have time this weekend to take the midsection apart and see what the problem is. I'm not sure if the "O" ring seals on the hydraulic lines are reusable on this model or not.

Thanks
    Yes they are but if you can find the same size one then it would be best to replace them just be careful I busted a bolt on mine when I had to split mine last winter to unstick the clutch, the bolt was frozen and I had to drill it and re tap it.
    It wasn't a hard job, I used anti seize on every bolt when I put it back together for future needs.
    Kubota L2800HST, Mitsubishi 372, bh75, 45" Agric tiller, 5' home made disk, 42" Bush hog, PHD, 66" Cammond BB.

Tractor
    Satoh S370D

I have a Satoh S370D with a broken crank shaft. I would like to sell it to someone that could take the entire unit off my hands. The tractor was working great and is in good shape. Please let me know if you are interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast