Silver Member
Tractor
YM2000D
Mitsubishi
D1650
1601-FD
1850 - FD

Tractor hunting.

Any info / feedback on these Mitsubishi's (which don't seem to be very numerous) will be appreciated.

/ Mitsubishi? #2  
Mitsubishi
D1650
1601-FD
1850 - FD

Tractor hunting.

Any info / feedback on these Mitsubishi's (which don't seem to be very numerous) will be appreciated.

I read your post in the yanmar forum and honestly think all these tractors are too small for your needs but I will say that I am fond of Mitsubishis and have owned several of them, varying from 1600-2800 series. I currently own an MTE 2000D that I've had for about 8 yrs and it's been excellent in every aspect.

Anyway, to comment on these specific tractors, I think 4 wheel drive is a must for compact tractors so the D1650 is out. I then go to bigger is better so the 1850 gets the nod over the 1601 since both are 4wd. Very few Mitsubishi's have 2 cylinder engines while Yanmar has several popular models that are....I'm not particularly a fan of any 2 cylinder engine ( they're torquey but clanky and knock), Mitsubishis 3 cylinder engines are smooth and reliable but their 4 cylinder models ( which are numerous) are even better and that gives the 1850 extra points in my book. Now comes the most important consideration...parts availability. This I can't answer for you. The 1601 seems to be the more popular model and I feel more comfortable saying that parts are as common for it as about any Mitsubishi model. I don't think the 1850 is a total oddball but I just don't see as many of them. I know it is a slightly older model than the 1800 and 1801 models but not sure if the differences are enough to make parts a big issue? Maybe one of the dealers will jump in and give an opinion. I would also like to address Parts. Undoubtedly, Yanmar has the best parts support of the grey market brands but they have models to avoid just like everyone. I think Mitsubishi is a close second in parts availbility. When dealing with these older tractors, there are always going to be some parts that are hard to find/expensive/etc...you can find that with some older U.S model John Deere, Ford, Massey Ferguson,kubota, etc too though. Just be sure you buy a popular model that has good parts support, regardless of who makes it. You didn't mention price on these tractors so I can't tell you if any of them would be a good deal. I know you are already aware of the Vietnam recon issue so that doesn't need to be mentioned.

All this said, with 11 acres I'd hold out for something larger and preferably with an end loader. I know that's a tall order when on a budget but patience is the key. I know that you are also looking within a limited area. Try expanding your search and consider using a shipping company if you need to. uship.com is a great way to get competitive shipping and to give you an idea, I would say a 30 HP tractor shipped 1000 miles would average about $900. Just trying to give you some ideas to help give you more options.

/ Mitsubishi?
Thanks Darryl. Appreciate your input.

Criteria: 4WD, FEL, >20 hp. First implement bush hog. Others acquired when need and $
11 acres -- 4 in hay field which gets cut and baled by someone else in June. Expect to bush hog once or twice to control weeds. Used as pasture October to Sept. 2 in pasture (same -- cut once or twice to control weeds). 2 others which are grazing, drylot and large grass riding ring which horses graze. Rest is house / lawn mini orchard -- riding lawnmower territory ;-)

No heavy scraping (no dirt). Some running around w FEL loader moving stuff. We don't want to be wrassling a large piece of equipment. So want compact or small tractor.

Will see what we end up with. :)

Last edited:
   / Mitsubishi? #4  
I read your post in the yanmar forum and honestly think all these tractors are too small for your needs but I will say that I am fond of Mitsubishis and have owned several of them, varying from 1600-2800 series. I currently own an MTE 2000D that I've had for about 8 yrs and it's been excellent in every aspect.

Anyway, to comment on these specific tractors, I think 4 wheel drive is a must for compact tractors so the D1650 is out. I then go to bigger is better so the 1850 gets the nod over the 1601 since both are 4wd. Very few Mitsubishi's have 2 cylinder engines while Yanmar has several popular models that are....I'm not particularly a fan of any 2 cylinder engine ( they're torquey but clanky and knock), Mitsubishis 3 cylinder engines are smooth and reliable but their 4 cylinder models ( which are numerous) are even better and that gives the 1850 extra points in my book. Now comes the most important consideration...parts availability. This I can't answer for you. The 1601 seems to be the more popular model and I feel more comfortable saying that parts are as common for it as about any Mitsubishi model. I don't think the 1850 is a total oddball but I just don't see as many of them. I know it is a slightly older model than the 1800 and 1801 models but not sure if the differences are enough to make parts a big issue? Maybe one of the dealers will jump in and give an opinion. I would also like to address Parts. Undoubtedly, Yanmar has the best parts support of the grey market brands but they have models to avoid just like everyone. I think Mitsubishi is a close second in parts availbility. When dealing with these older tractors, there are always going to be some parts that are hard to find/expensive/etc...you can find that with some older U.S model John Deere, Ford, Massey Ferguson,kubota, etc too though. Just be sure you buy a popular model that has good parts support, regardless of who makes it. You didn't mention price on these tractors so I can't tell you if any of them would be a good deal. I know you are already aware of the Vietnam recon issue so that doesn't need to be mentioned.

All this said, with 11 acres I'd hold out for something larger and preferably with an end loader. I know that's a tall order when on a budget but patience is the key. I know that you are also looking within a limited area. Try expanding your search and consider using a shipping company if you need to. uship.com is a great way to get competitive shipping and to give you an idea, I would say a 30 HP tractor shipped 1000 miles would average about $900. Just trying to give you some ideas to help give you more options.

I will support this gentlemens opinion on this tractor.--Myself I own a Satoh Buck---18.5 Diesel 1988 model---Not Grey Market---I use a Befco Tiller---Box blade and bush hog or mower---Grader blade can be used--All of my implements are 4 ft. wide--that covers my tire tracks.
My tractor it is a must to use ballast on the front even though I place green slime and water in the tires. My tiller is pretty heavy for a small tractor.
Basically you can call my tractor a garden or landscaping tractor.

NOTE** Do your research on the Yanmar and John Deere engines---SURPRISE they are the same--All John Deere use Yanmar engines and has from the beginning almost--they actually were partners--John Deere still uses the Yanmar engine as many others do. Yanmar is the inventor of the Diesel engine on the tractors.

/ Mitsubishi? #5  
Mitsubishi
D1650
1601-FD
1850 - FD

Tractor hunting.

I love my tractor and it does what I want. My land I have no intention of clearing it. I work about 2 acres in yard and garden.--The rest I use to walk in and enjoy the scenery and provides a home to many many animals that I enjoy watching them also along with the kids.--I do live in the country--no cities or towns for me.
P.S. I own a Satoh Buck Mitsubishi and had no problems except a flat now and than.

Last edited:
   / Mitsubishi? #6  
I own a Mitsubishi D1650 and am in the need for some cosmetic parts, such as the grille for starters if anyone knows of any companies that have these parts it would be greatly appreciated if I could possible get hold of a list, if anyone knows some of these companies.

/ Mitsubishi? #7  
When I started looking for a tractor I knew that I wanted a CUT with 4wd. I also knew that I had a very limited budget to work with. That said I looked at Kubotas and JDs but just couldn't justify the $$$. I like Arkie have a small piece of property with 3 acres to mow and the rest in woods. I found a Satoh Buck and have used it now for 3 years. I have a box scrape, bushog, rfm all in 48". I also use a scoop pan for road drainage. I had always wanted a FEL but never thought I would find one without mortgaging the farm. Then via this forum I found one last year. Now I have a Koyker 110 FEL that really made the tractor. Parts for these tractors while somewhat scarce are still available from Valley Power and other Satoh suppliers. All in all I have been thoroughly pleased with the Buck, awesome tractor... dependable, manueverable, and crawls like a cat. Good Luck with your search!!!

Last edited: