Newbie tilling with a 370d

/ Newbie tilling with a 370d #1  

gmstreets

Tractor
Satoh Beaver 4wd
I am using my dad's old 370d to till my garden. I am in first gear but the tractor seems to bog down when I start to till. I believe I am going to fast, because I remember my dad going much slower when he tilled. How do you get it in low range. There is a lever on the right side behind my foot, is this the hi lo shifter? I have identified the PTO lever, Rear lift, 123R shifter, 4wd selector, but the decal is worn off this lever. It doesn't seem to want to move, there is a small heel release but even when I step on it the other lever still doesn't move. am I doing something wrong? any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

/ Newbie tilling with a 370d #2  
The heel pedal is a differential lock. The lever should move forward to put the tranny in low range. You'll want to have the pto in the slowest speed too. You may need to spray some pb blaster penetrating oil where the shifter goes in the side of the tranny and let it soak a few days.

/ Newbie tilling with a 370d #3  
My 370 works better with PTO in highest setting and in lowest gear. Also make a few passes only going down 2 to 4 inches deep at a time. I had the same problem when I try going down too at a time.