Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Satoh S470 Buck

Default Re: I might buy a Shato BUCK

Look in my sig line for a download for free online Woods manuals. I have an RM48 on my Buck, and it has a sticker right on the mower that says for kubota and Satoh tractors use PTO speed "2" only. It's in the manual, too. Anyplace the manual says "Beaver" it also applies to Buck, because the Buck is basically a 3-cylinder Beaver...Before the S373 Beaver III- which was a 3-cylinder- older Beavers were all 2-cylinder and the Buck was the 3-cylinder.
    Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Woods Equipment Co. - FREE online download of manuals:
    http://www.woodsonline.com/manuals.aspx

Tractor
    Satoh S470D Buck

ahhhh Thank You Oliver..!
    This is awesome stuff.. I can start building a owners manual library.
    Yes like I said, it does seem to like being in PTO 2, and tractor gear 1 with
    RPM set at about 2600-2700. It mows very nice at that speed.

I like this tractor a lot.. BUT.. I don't think its going to be the answer I'm looking for to snow plow my 800 ft driveway, thru a field, that can get a bit windy.. I'm not sure.. Maybe I should have just bought a plow truck and called it good. but I like all of the other things this tractor does in the summer, so now I'm a bit torn..

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1947 Massey Harris 30, 1960 Massey Ferguson 35 (Perkins), 1995 TAFE 351DI, 1980 Bolens G174, 2005 Kubota B7510

Quote Originally Posted by 284 International View Post
    There is a post here that says the PTO speeds for the Buck are 565, 832, and 1000 RPM at 2700 engine RPM. It is very likely that your Woods mower is rated for 540 RPM at the input shaft, which means you should run it in first gear on the PTO.

I'm sure it cuts a lot better at 832 RPM, but it's potentially extremely dangerous. Pull the blades, sharpen them, and run it in first gear. You'll probably be able to pull a gear higher on the tractor for higher groundspeed, too, but mostly it won't be dangerous or hard on your equipment.
    That mower should be run in 2nd gear on the PTO. The Woods manual calls for PTO revs above 1000, but it doesn't work out well with my Bolens G174 -- it takes too much power to wind it up that high, but it gets along o.k. at the middle range in 4th gear, or 5th on light, open stretches.

90% of the time I mow in 4WD because I lose traction with turf tires on sloped corners otherwise, though the loaded tires should make a difference there.

Your mower looks like the one I mention in this article on belt replacement, though you'd do well to check before ordering:

How to change the belt on Woods mower #RM48YM-2 Walnut Diary

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1947 Massey Harris 30, 1960 Massey Ferguson 35 (Perkins), 1995 TAFE 351DI, 1980 Bolens G174, 2005 Kubota B7510

Just had a look at a couple of Woods mower manuals, courtesy of the link in this string. The belts are not standard to the model line. Each one seems to have its own, i.e: #108 for mine, #103 for another I checked at random.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    International Harvester 284, Yanmar 1401D, Yanmar 240, and others...many others...

Oliver28472, that's a good link. I looked at the owner's manual for the model, and, as you said, it recommends PTO speeds of 800 RPM. That's a really useful thing to know. If he's got that same model mower, obviously he should run it in second. I used to use an old Woods that looked about identical, and it was a 540 RPM rated model. The belt drives on those things are kind of terrifying to look at, I think, with all the twists in the drive. This is a good reason to document what model implements one owns.
    Last edited by 284 International; 07-06-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

Thanks 284, those belts are hard to change too. With all the twists and turns and high grass going through mine, I go through at least a belt a year. I don't have a bush hog or any other kind of mower for the yard. I mow both sides of a lot of fence in addition to about 1.5 acre of yard. I keep at least one new belt on hand. By the way, the belt I have used over the years is a B-124.

Tractor
    Satoh S470D Buck

Quote Originally Posted by oliver28472 View Post
    Thanks 284, those belts are hard to change too. With all the twists and turns and high grass going through mine, I go through at least a belt a year. I don't have a bush hog or any other kind of mower for the yard. I mow both sides of a lot of fence in addition to about 1.5 acre of yard. I keep at least one new belt on hand. By the way, the belt I have used over the years is a B-124.
    I'd have to look, but I think the guy I bought the tractor from said he gets his belt, and filters at Napa.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

Napa numbers

Air: 6270
    Oil: 1334
    Fuel: 3264

That belt number works at about any parts store or industrial supply.

Tractor
    Satoh S470 Buck

The oil filter winds up fitting a lot of common import cars, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, etc. My local Advance Auto had the Purolator fuel filter in stock also. A gallon of Rotella-T, a Purolator oil and fuel filter, and the total bill was about $30.
    Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Woods Equipment Co. - FREE online download of manuals:
    http://www.woodsonline.com/manuals.aspx

Tractor
    Satoh S470D Buck

Quote Originally Posted by evan price View Post
    The oil filter winds up fitting a lot of common import cars, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, etc. My local Advance Auto had the Purolator fuel filter in stock also. A gallon of Rotella-T, a Purolator oil and fuel filter, and the total bill was about $30.
    Great.. Thanks Guys.! this is very helpful.!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast