I might buy a Shato BUCK

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK #31  
One of my brothers is using it for a couple of weeks. Had it down in SC with the carryall moving rocks. Will pull a few small logs before I get it back. I don't have time to use it right now but will be getting it back this weekend and put the sprayer on the back and my other brother will build a boom for that. In the mean while, he bored a hole in a future belly drawbar for a friend's 2350. I'll weld the bar to a plate and bolt that to the brackets on the bottom. $11.00 worth of steel.

I will post pics of my Buck and the Mits 1450

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK #32  
Here's a couple of pics. Anybody know anything about these weights, like how heavy?

****, she is sexy! any idea how much bigger it is than the beaver? It looks almost the same size abiet the 3cyl

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK #33  
Anyone know the difference between this and a Beaver III? Nice looking tractor!

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK #34  
almost identical to a Beaver III, except 2 more HP. Both are covered in the same manual.

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK #35  
Thanks Guys,!

I am the proud owner of a 1979 Satoh Buck, with a 48" Woods mower,
front plow, Land plow (rear), and a rear 3 pt hitch platform for carrying items around.:thumbsup:
I was on the fence, until I heard it run.. super smooth.. and the mower is VERY quiet.. I like it.

I've mowed some.. I seems to like being in 1st gear, with the PTO on 2.
If I put the PTO on 3, its bogs the tractor a little.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll MANY more questions, once I really get into it..

Like, the engine heater, I don't get it.! lol but I have the book, i will read.

Thanks again Guys.

I'd say you did good . Looking at your picture of your Buck it looks like the front tires are fairly new , can you tell me what size & brand they are ?

Mike

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK #36  
A lot of these old woods mowers were made for Satohs and Yanmars. Second is the right speed, trust me. I can find it somewhere in a manual. I still have the Buck that my Dad bought new in the late 70s with a new Woods RM 48. I have a slightly newer mower now and use it on my Mits. 1450 which is almost a Buck. This link to Woods will help. It references the Beaver mostly, which has the same pto speeds. My model number is YM-1.

Woods Equipment Company

those were for the CCW ptos. The CCW woods mowers (RM42, RM48, and RM59 all ended with a K) K stood for the Kubota model (B6000) that also had a CCW PTO. The Flywheel on these models were about half half the diameter of a standard woods 540 PTO mower. They were designed for the second pto speed like you mentioned.

Basically,if the flyweel on the mower (what the pto shaft hooks to) is almost the size of the gaurd, it is a 540 rpm unit, if it is a smaller flywheel that only takes up about half of the guard then it is a 8-900 pto rpm

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK #37  
I might have to disagree with that, I've had one of each. I bought the CCW mower without knowing it was a CCW. I couldn't keep the blades on because the blade bolts kept backing out. Luckily I still had Dad's old deck which was in bad shape from rust and warpage. I took the spindles off the old deck and put them on the CCW deck and that stopped that problem. The big pulleys on the PTO shaft were the same size and the belt was B-124 for both. I've changed a bunch of them. The idler and tightener pulleys were the same too but oriented backward for the CCW. Didn't seem to matter.

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK #38  
those were for the CCW ptos. The CCW woods mowers (RM42, RM48, and RM59 all ended with a K) K stood for the Kubota model (B6000) that also had a CCW PTO. The Flywheel on these models were about half half the diameter of a standard woods 540 PTO mower. They were designed for the second pto speed like you mentioned.

Basically,if the flyweel on the mower (what the pto shaft hooks to) is almost the size of the gaurd, it is a 540 rpm unit, if it is a smaller flywheel that only takes up about half of the guard then it is a 8-900 pto rpm

I would disagree with that. My RM48 has a sticker on the frame (A Woods sticker, original) that says for Kubota and Satoh to use PTO speed #2. The manual for it also lists this. The pulley/flywheel is almost the same size as the interior of the housing of the guard.

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK
Ya, Mine has the larger flywheel.. and mine also has a metal tag that says RM48-YM.
Which reminds me.. I need a belt for that model. Anyone know a cross to a Napa, or some other after market.?

I also just the other day bought a 42" bush hog for it. I'm mowing about 3-4ft tall grass. It works great.
But It feels like I could have gotten away with a 48".. Other then front weight.! I need front weight.! :mad:

Thou, I'd like to find a sickle bar mower instead like a 7ft... 10aces with a 42" bush hog will take me all summer! lol Evan do you think the buck would run
a 7ft sickle bar ok?

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK
mike, Sorry I just now saw this post..
I will get the tire size.. but actually wouldn't recommend that size front. Mine rubs on a bracket under the frontend, bad enough to actually stop the tire from turning. I'd go smaller..