I might buy a Shato BUCK

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK #1  

Dsavage

Tractor
Satoh S470D Buck
Hey guys, very new to the site, and very (maybe) new to owning an actual "tractor"..

I have a chance to buy a..
1979 Satoh Buck tractor for sale. This tractor has a Mitsubishi K3B diesel engine that is 849cc and produces 18.5 HP. Recent oil and filter change and new air filter this spring. Buck is a 2WD small farm tractor with a hydraulic 3-point hitch and 3-speed PTO in the rear. It has 6 forward and 2 reverse speeds. This Satoh has 714 hours on it. It will accept Category 1 implements. Included in the sale is a Woods RM48 48" finish mower, which is a 3-blade 3-pt hitch mower that cuts through most anything. Also included is a single bottom cultivator, a rear platform for carrying items around, a set of rear tire chains, and a proprietary snow plow that is in desperate need of welding and reconditioning. The rear tires are filled with calcium chloride for extra traction and have wheel weights attached. Have the original owner's manual. The tractor runs great. A tune-up to clean the injectors and adjust the valves might make it run even better. It is very thrifty on fuel. It is definitely not a show piece, but it is a strong runner. I have owned it for the past 10 years and never had any trouble with it. As mentioned previously, only the snow plow is in need of work.

For like.. $1,500.

Is it worth it..?
Also, I'd LIKE to have a bucket for it.. any ideas.??

Thanks in advance All..!

Last edited:
   / I might buy a Shato BUCK #3  
Ah, there it is...
Satoh Buck Tractor & Implements

That tractor is a S470D which is the 4wd version. And he is asking $1800 not $1500.

I have a Woods RM48 on my Buck and it powers it quite well. For the implements he is including it's a nice package with wheel weights, too. Might need a nose weight with the mower, mine's got 65# to offset the mower...

Price is quite reasonable assuming it is in good order.

If I had time to get to Maine I would buy it myself this weekend. It should sell fast. That's only an hour or so N/E of Portland and about 30 hours round trip for me.

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK
I realize the price is $1800.. but the guy told me $1500 and come get it.
I'm headed there in about an hour to pick it up.

Thanks Guys,!

I am the proud owner of a 1979 Satoh Buck, with a 48" Woods mower,
front plow, Land plow (rear), and a rear 3 pt hitch platform for carrying items around.:thumbsup:
I was on the fence, until I heard it run.. super smooth.. and the mower is VERY quiet.. I like it.

I've mowed some.. I seems to like being in 1st gear, with the PTO on 2.
If I put the PTO on 3, its bogs the tractor a little.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll MANY more questions, once I really get into it..

Like, the engine heater, I don't get it.! lol but I have the book, i will read.

Thanks again Guys.

Attachments

• 0701111235a.jpg
    0701111235a.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 2,004
Last edited:
The field I was "mowing" the very next day after I brought it home.
:D

Attachments

• 0701111344a.jpg
    0701111344a.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 571
   / I might buy a Shato BUCK #8  
There is a post here that says the PTO speeds for the Buck are 565, 832, and 1000 RPM at 2700 engine RPM. It is very likely that your Woods mower is rated for 540 RPM at the input shaft, which means you should run it in first gear on the PTO.

I'm sure it cuts a lot better at 832 RPM, but it's potentially extremely dangerous. Pull the blades, sharpen them, and run it in first gear. You'll probably be able to pull a gear higher on the tractor for higher groundspeed, too, but mostly it won't be dangerous or hard on your equipment.

There is a post here that says the PTO speeds for the Buck are 565, 832, and 1000 RPM at 2700 engine RPM. It is very likely that your Woods mower is rated for 540 RPM at the input shaft, which means you should run it in first gear on the PTO.

I'm sure it cuts a lot better at 832 RPM, but it's potentially extremely dangerous. Pull the blades, sharpen them, and run it in first gear. You'll probably be able to pull a gear higher on the tractor for higher groundspeed, too, but mostly it won't be dangerous or hard on your equipment.

WOW.. Thanks 284...
I wouldn't have guessed it would be dangerous, but I guess I can see why. i DID try it in PTO 3, Gear 1, and RPM at 2700.. I'm guessing thats not good at all.!! I will heade the advice, sharpen the blades, and try PTO 1, then try mowing in gear 2..

Thanks again.!

/ I might buy a Shato BUCK #10  
A lot of these old woods mowers were made for Satohs and Yanmars. Second is the right speed, trust me. I can find it somewhere in a manual. I still have the Buck that my Dad bought new in the late 70s with a new Woods RM 48. I have a slightly newer mower now and use it on my Mits. 1450 which is almost a Buck. This link to Woods will help. It references the Beaver mostly, which has the same pto speeds. My model number is YM-1.

http://www.woodsonline.com/manuals.aspx#ctl00_contentMain_Directory1

Last edited: