Pulling a finish mower with a S470D

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #1  

Botetourt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi 470D
still tinkering with my new toy, considering if it would be better to use it to mow with, instead of my Cub Cadet GT2550 (hydrostatic, 50" deck). Initial research looks like a 48" mower is about as big as I can go. I mow a little more than 2 acres in about 2 1/2 hrs with the cub, yard is kinda rough, hilly, only a few trees to mow around. Would I be able to mow faster with the Satoh and a 48" deck? Anybody use a 54" deck?

My Satoh has Ag tires on the front and the diamond tread turf tires on the rear. Has extra weights on the front, maybe 100 lbs. 18.5 hp, supposedly 14.6 hp at the pto.

Thanks

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #2  
I think you'll be hard-pressed to justify the purchase of a 48 inch 3 point finish mower to replace a riding mower of the same cutting dimensions. I have a 15 PTO horsepower Yanmar tractor, and with a 42 inch cut brush mower it's about the same as my 17 hp 42 inch cut riding mower, because I have to be much more careful at property margins and around obstacles, which slows me down, but I can get a little higher ground speed on my real tractor vs the riding mower.

Behind my 20 PTO horsepower tractor I can go much faster, and leave the perimeters and tricky spots to just cut closely with my riding mower and weed eater.

Since your riding mower is bigger, more powerful, and likely faster than mine, I wouldn't bother. You'll probably notice improved fuel economy if you used the S470, but not double or anything. If you've got the mower available to experiment with, then give it a shot, but I don't think it will be an improvement, personally.

Last edited:
   / Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #3  
I don't have anything else to mow with but my grey Mitsubishi 1450. My Buck is the same tractor with a little bigger engine. I have used other mowers here and there and would agree with 284. Get a blade and carryall for the Buck, haul in some dirt and smooth it out. Use the CC to mow with, it will be a lot faster.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #4  
I use a Woods RM48 on my Buck and that's about as big as you want on a Buck unless it's a pull-behind or you put a lot of weight on the nose and then power in tall grass would be an issue.
I cut noticeably faster than I do with a regular old MTD riding tractor mower with a 46" deck, but it's probably because I have more torque and can keep the ground speed up faster with the Buck compared to the Briggs powered MTDs.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #5  
It does fine going straight but if you have to turn a lot you will lose time.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D
it seems like a wash. Maybe I'll just keep my eye out for a deal on a 48", no hurry, and at least I'd have a back up. Then I can decide for myself.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #7  
it seems like a wash. Maybe I'll just keep my eye out for a deal on a 48", no hurry, and at least I'd have a back up. Then I can decide for myself.

I just purchased my Buck, with a Woods RM48, I've cut my grass with it.
Compared to my 26HP Husky with a 54" deck, there's no comparison..
I can do it much quicker with my Husky. BUT.. Its fun to play with the Buck..
OH, and I have AG tires on the Buck, I can see if its wet, or early spring, I won't be able to get that on my lawn.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #8  
I agree with the others that you probably will not be any faster with the tractor, but it may be more enjoyable, especially if you get a rear-discharge mower for it. Personally, I much prefer mowing with a tractor and rear-discharge mower than a riding mower. First of all I feel it looks better because I don't get as much windrowing. Additionally, and this is especially true when windy, I don't get as much grass on me.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D
I agree with the others that you probably will not be any faster with the tractor, but it may be more enjoyable, especially if you get a rear-discharge mower for it. Personally, I much prefer mowing with a tractor and rear-discharge mower than a riding mower. First of all I feel it looks better because I don't get as much windrowing. Additionally, and this is especially true when windy, I don't get as much grass on me.

There's some good points. I think the larger diameter wheels are more comfortable on a rough yard, especially after I mount a new seat with springs in the back. I doubt I'll find a deal on a rear-discharge mower, but even a side-discharge would be less grass on me, as it's frequently windy on my hill. Looks like I'd pay $2K and up for a new one, $300-$500 for a used 48", so far.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #10  
There's some good points. I think the larger diameter wheels are more comfortable on a rough yard, especially after I mount a new seat with springs in the back. I doubt I'll find a deal on a rear-discharge mower, but even a side-discharge would be less grass on me, as it's frequently windy on my hill. Looks like I'd pay $2K and up for a new one, $300-$500 for a used 48", so far.

I paid $300 for my used, good shape Woods RM48 on Craigslist. The deals are out there but they are better before the season starts when people are buying new machinery and selling the old.