Satoh Buck Overheating

/ Satoh Buck Overheating #1  

Iron Chief

Tractor
Satoh Buck 470D; Cub Yanmar EX2900 TLB
Is the Satoh Buck S470D typically prone to overheating? Since I bought the Satoh about a year ago, with only 400 hrs, I have experienced overheating issues. First, I removed the thermostat, and that helped for about six months, and even when the overtemp light came on, it never got really hot. Now, when the temp light comes on, it's only a matter of a few minutes before the geyser starts. With the radiator cap removed, and the radiator full (no thermostat), and at high idle, I don't see any water rushing across the top of the radiator core, like I would typically see with a car. It seems that water pumps are available all over the net for this model - between $139 and $159.00 - like it is a very common problem. Anybody out there with any insight on this issue?

/ Satoh Buck Overheating #2  
I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but I've also experience similar issues with my Satoh.
First of all, I've done the same things: Re-Cored radiator, remove thermo, replaced sensor. After all of these things, the water temp light still comes on. I think it's a very poor design to have the temp sensor on the intake, but that's the way it is. I would recommend putting in a manual guage.

Secondly, I also test the water temp when the light came on. It was only 140 - 150 degrees w/ no thermo, and the light was still on.

Now, in your case, I would expect the radiator to be clogged, or the water pump to be bad (doubtful it's the pump, but you never know). I would recommend taking to a radiator shop, and have them re-core. I would also ask if they could slightly upsize the radiator. Make sure that you have the clearance between you fan and the existing radiator when you take it to the shop. Re-core will run you about $250.

/ Satoh Buck Overheating
Thanks Sruman. I had similar thoughts about the temp sensor. Manual gage is a good idea. Also very helpful advice on the radiator re-core. Had not thought of that. I have some friends that have mentioned "pusher fans" that mount in front of the radiator to assist in cooling. Seems like a good option for assisting with cooling on hot days; but I've still got to solve the poor circulation issue.

/ Satoh Buck Overheating #4  
I have also found that the pump on the machine isn't the greatest, so don't expect a ton of pressure. But, since I've done the above to mine, I haven't had any overheating issues. But then again, I haven't really "worked" it too, too hard since then. Maybe an hour or two using a bush hog.

Good luck.

/ Satoh Buck Overheating #5  
sruman, what water temp sensor did you find to work? Does it look pretty close? Mine doesn't overheat, but my sensor is bad, and I need to get one.

Thanks

/ Satoh Buck Overheating #6  
Iron Chief,
Mine has not overheated yet, but searching posts on here shows it's a common problem. I'd start with simple stuff, flushing the whole system with some good radiator flush, and make sure the exterior fins of the radiator aren't clogged, which seems to happen a lot. Also don't overlook checking the belt for any slipping. Good luck.

/ Satoh Buck Overheating #7  
Water Temp Sensor......NAPA Part Number: ECH TS6042

/ Satoh Buck Overheating #8  
sruman,

that part number shows to be for use with a gauge, rather than simply closing the circuit at 212 degrees, for an idiot light.

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/...Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=ts6042&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

wonder if that's why your light comes on below overheating temp.

I'd put a gauge in if I had a problem, but for now all I want is for the light to work. Valley Power says Mitsu is rediculous, $160. Whenever I get around to flushing mine and changing the antifreeze, I guess I'll take it somewhere and try to match it up.

/ Satoh Buck Overheating
Today I flushed the system with Prestone Super Flush. The coolant was pretty nasty looking. I noticed that the flushing solution was foaming out of the overflow tube, with the cap on tight. It shouldn't have done that, since the cap seal is below the overflow hole. I replaced the cap with a 16 psi new cap, and filled with the proper mix of antifreeze. I did notice that I do see the coolant flowing over the coils of the radiator if I have the coolant level just above the top of the core and I run the engine at high idle. I mowed for about 45 minutes with no temp light and no other sign of overheating. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

/ Satoh Buck Overheating #10  
I am having similar issues with my 1450 which is a grey 373 and very similar to the Buck, which I also have. I added a gauge but still have the light. There is a plug in the pump that can be removed to install the sender. When the light comes on, I'm a little over 212. I have flushed mine pretty good and try to keep the radiator clean. Put a new cap on too but I think it is a 7 lb cap. Will check that.