Mowing Looking for S550 (Elk) Belly Mower

/ Looking for S550 (Elk) Belly Mower #1  

Redrockmullet

Tractor
1974? Satoh S-550g
Hey there. I have a nice S550G that I would like to slap a belly mower on, but I have as yet to locate one that would work. I know that Woods used to make an L59 kit (L59-S55-1) that would fit it, but they no longer handle belly mowers of this style. Does anyone have a mower that they would sell or know where to get one?

/ Looking for S550 (Elk) Belly Mower #2  
Hi Redrockmullet,

I own a 650 and most of my books list both the 650 and 550 on a majority of systems. (The 650 seems to be the "big brother", while the 550 is "JR", but overall almost the same machines). Someone out there, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if the 650 mower would work on the 550...I would bet that it would, but after looking through the books...this mower was not listed under the accessory section. Further research reveals that the rear PTO assembly (i assume its where the belt for the mower wraps around a pulley/gearbox assembly that attaches to the rear PTO of the tractor) matches exactly part number for part number except the mounting bracket for the assembly (i.e. the mounting bracket for the 650 appears to be larger than the one for the 550). In the end, I'm not even sure if this is the assembly required to make a belly mower go... what I do have for you is that the actual pulley is the same one for the 650 and 550. So the pulley might not have to be swapped out if you found a 650 belly deck.

I'm sure the 550 would have to run at 2500RPMs where the 650 could do the same job running at 2000RPMs type thing. What is the 550's hp? The 650 is 25hp engine/22hp at the PTO.

Call Len Schafer at 815-284-3226, I know he has a belly mower for a 650 as I was going to buy it, but my "grass cutting" days are at least 2 yrs out. (I cleared my lot, finally removed all the stumps, now "prepping" the land for seed--I was hoping to drop seed this year, but this project is now slow moving that it might not happen this year...bummer...I might have to wait until next year if my ol' girl doesn't get her hydros back up soon)

Another resource is Bill Rodgers at Valley Power Products 1800-609-5110. These two are my "go to" everything 650 guys.

Okay good luck..let me know what you discover.

Raf