Mitsu S373 Diesel 4x4 Questions

/ Mitsu S373 Diesel 4x4 Questions #1  

duwem

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere Garden Tractors
Does this tractor have a standard rotation pto or reversed?

Easy way to tell?

Does the spline count give it away or not necessarily?

I know of one for sale with 400 hours on it. It has sat outside for probalby 10 years in the same spot.

Anything I should look for before buying it? See the picture below.

The rain cap that sticks out of the hood for the air cleaner was off, could water have gotten into the cylinders? May try to jump to the starter before buying to see if its siezed up or not.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 110310102617.jpg
    110310102617.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 513
   / Mitsu S373 Diesel 4x4 Questions #2  
My understanding is that all the S373 Beaver IIIs are clockwise ("normal") rotating PTOs. I have a Satoh cousin to that machine, an ST1440. It has a smaller than standard PTO shaft with many splines, but rotates clockwise. Adapters are available to bring it up to the 1 3/8" 6 spline standard.

Whereabouts are you located?

If the tractor is, or has been, exposed to the elements, water may have gotten into the cylinders. It is safer to check for signs of water entry rather than cranking it over when it may have water inside, and potentially damagine internal components.

Pulling the dipstick and looking for high oil levels can be an indicator, too. If the oil level is higher than expected, it may have water in it, or a leaking injector pump.

I like the little Mitsubishi/Satoh machines. They're good units, although parts are harder to come by.

/ Mitsu S373 Diesel 4x4 Questions #3  
I think I might consider draining some of the oil before moving it. The water should come out first, then based on that you can decide how much further to test the engine.

Check to see if the clutch is free (not stuck to the flywheel). There should be a drain plug as well in the bell housing, pull that to see how much water is in there.

Also the 3pt lift cylinder may have rust in it as well so if you lift it without an implement on it it might get stuck due to the corrosion. This happen to my MT372, the guy selling it decided to lift it before I picked it up and it got jammed. I had to disassemble it as the first project, but he knocked off a couple hundred bucks because he felt bad about it.

In your photos it looks like there might be another one behind and on the left side...perhaps get both and get one running between the 2.

/ Mitsu S373 Diesel 4x4 Questions
There are 2 of the 2 wheel drive 2 cylinder ones there as well.

I'm only interested in the 3 cylinder 4x4.

I guess it was a rental unit and then just got put outdoors and left there when they ran out of room indoors.

Were these engines direct injector or indirect? Did they have glow plugs?

Just wondering if unskrewing one and shining a light in there would show anything.

Was this model ever sold as a Case IH or Cub branded? Do they offer parts?

Is this one a "gray market" tractor?
I'm up in the midwest.

Sorry for all the questions. Up to now I have had John Deere garden tractors, but I saw this sitting in the back 40 and thought its size was close to a garden tractor and it looked very capable with its 4x4 and heavy construction.

/ Mitsu S373 Diesel 4x4 Questions #5  
Although I have two similar tractors I don't know if they are direct or indirect but both have glow plugs. Yours is not a grey. I do have the grey version, a Mitsubishi D1450FD. Yours has the correct pto, clockwise. I would recommend taking all the glow plugs out before you try to crank the engine because if there is water on top of the pistons you could bend a connecting rod trying to start. Water can't be compressed. Opening the drain plug on the oil pan is a good suggestion and should tell you if there is water down there. I would almost assume there is water in the transmission/rear case if it sat out for that long. The shifter boot may be cracked and allowed rain water to get in. If you can work these out this may still be a viable tractor depending on price. If not it would be a heck of a parts tractor.

Assuming the engine is not stuck, what do you guys think this thing is worth as it sits (and has been sitting for 10 years)

I believe the tires all hold air, it has a 3pt on it.

I'm not going to part it out, I dont want to get into the Mitsubishi tractor parts business. Would buy it as is, see if I couldnt get it going and if not would sell it complete as a project tractor.

Thanks!

/ Mitsu S373 Diesel 4x4 Questions #7  
I can only speak for my personal perception of value. You're buying a project, as you know. You will need, basically, a 5 gallon pail of hydraulic fluid, an oil filter, 3 or 4 quarts of oil, a battery, and some antifreeze, along with several gallons of diesel in the best case scenario, where you do a fluids change, drain and replace the fuel, install a new battery, and live happily ever after. Figure $150-$200, give or take, for all that.

If it's sat very long, it's possible the water pump is seized up. They're about $150 shipped to your door. Injection pump prices on those are unknown to me, but they're probably several times more than that. Clutch kits are $200-$250 or so. You won't know if you need that until you can get it running, or are able to pull it. Starters are about $150. If you have to tear down the engine, the rebuild kit is probably around $500 plus shipping, but I'm making that number up based on other things I've priced. It may be much more than that, or a little less.

So, if you pay $500 for it, as is, and it needs "minor" stuff like a new starter, and water pump, you'll be in it for $1000, which is probably pretty good. If it needs an injection pump and an engine rebuild, you'll be paying about what an operating machine will cost you if you just buy one that works to start with, even if you get it for free.

I'm not trying to be discouraging or encouraging to you. I've taken risks on machines and with the possible exception of my recent Ford 1700 purchase, have always come out pretty well. I'm also cheaper than I am lazy, and I enjoy the project aspect of making these small Japanese tractors operable.

What are similar machines going for in your area? If you are looking at saving a few hundred dollars on a risk vs a known to function unit, I'd would buy something that works already. If you're going to be paying scrap price, can afford the money as a throw-away for your entertainment, go buy it in the morning.

The rental aspect of it is kind of alarming to me, but it may be that they have good records and/or service accessories to go with it, like a manual and filters. It may be that it was abused like...well...a rental, and finally put out to pasture when it was too worn out to be in the fleet. If they'll let you mess with it, I would go out with a good battery, some cables, and some wrenches. Pull the glow plugs after checking the oil level and stuff (crack the drain plug first to see what comes out). Briefly see if it will crank over; you may want to jump the solenoid if it won't work with the key. Then you'll be in a spot to better assess what blows out of the glow plug holes (Rusty water=run away) and what drains out the bottom of the crankcase.

Let us know what you end up doing! They're good little machines, I really like mine.

/ Mitsu S373 Diesel 4x4 Questions #8  
The Beaver III is a Buck with a slightly smaller motor (The K3A Mitsubishi 3-cylinder) a good smooth running motor. PTO is a US standard and it's a Cat 1 3.P.H.

Turn the motor by hand with the glow plugs removed to blow out any water that might have gotten in. You can pull out the air filter to see if it is wet or rusty inside or has a mouse house in there. The design of the filter housing lets small amounts of water drain away without running into the motor- it sits horizontally in there not vertical. You might be OK but it is better safe than sorry. Probbaly need to change out the air filter (Mice are a common problem!) the rubber fuel lines, fuel filter, battery, engine oil & filter.

Depending on how much they seem attached to the tractor is how much to offer. I'd personally figure that if it was in decent shape and worth doing basic maintenance to get going, $500 would not be out of line. You can buy good running Beaver III's for $1500 pretty easily.

If you decide yo udon't want it or don't want the 2-cylinders, let me know and if it's close by, I could use some parts machines.

I called and left the sales guy a message saturday saying I would offer 500 cash. Will follow up tomorrow.

He was at $1000 when we talked last week.

There is a blue deck near them, not sure what its for, maybe for these tractors?

This is definitely not on my need list, but I have always wanted a 4x4 "garden tractor" for snow removal and loader work and this is about the right size. Plus being cat 1 attachments will be cheaper than the cat 0 stuff for garden tractors.

/ Mitsu S373 Diesel 4x4 Questions #10  
It may be a mower deck for one of the Beavers. I think these had a belly mower available, as well as a three point mower. Either would be attractive, but check for the drive mechanism: It may be on one of the 2 wheel drives.

$1000 may not be out of line either, if it really is a case of needing fuel and a battery boost.