Got The S373D!

/ Got The S373D! #1  

duwem

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere Garden Tractors
I picked it up yesterday.

It came with some extra parts and a haban deck with a whole pile of brackets. Anyone have installation instructions? No idea how it is powered, I found some haban literature showing drive off the rear pto, and others off the front of the tractor.

Here it is in its original resting place where I saw it 2 years ago followed by the trailer ride home.

Attachments

• 110310102617.jpg
    110310102617.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 468
  • deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 291
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 329
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 415
   / Got The S373D!
After a few hours of tinkering with it and cleaning the entire fuel system out I got it running last night. Everything works as it should: all 3 speeds of the PTO, diff lock, 3pt goes up and down, 4x4 works (lever to disengage does nothing but I'm working through that in the other thread, all 3 gears plus the high low. Starts good.

Front tires are very cracked but hold air. Will have to replace in the future.

There was on hydralic leak where the steel line goes into the transmssion, but I found a missing sealing washer, and it happened to be in the under seat toolbox. Installed it and it fixed the leak.

Muffler was rusted out BAD and had holes everywhere so I bought a farmall one.

With all the other fixes and a bath, here is a teaser picture, hoping to have the exhaust adaptor welded up tomorrow so I can run it with the new muffler.

I can also turn it horizontal like the original since the flange is square.

Once I get the exahust done I will pull it outside and take some good pictures...

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 347
   / Got The S373D! #3  
Really nice looking machine, congrats and have fun

/ Got The S373D! #4  
Think you'll find vertical (maybe even an extension) is best to not breathe sooty fumes.
If you do stay vertical install a flapper cap to keep water from getting in there.

/ Got The S373D! #5  
Hey, terrific! Even if the mower winds up being unusable, you made a good purchase. What other bracketry or gear box does it have? Did you check on any of the 2wd machines for a mount on the PTO or under the belly? If you didn't look, go check and see if there is anything usable or salvageable there; the mystery may be solved when the missing components are on the other machine.

I'm a Yanmar guy, but my 2 Mitsubishi/Satoh tractors are really nice, and in some ways superior. Good job! It's really satisfying to take something that's a piece of junk to another and make a usable, functional piece of equipment.

/ Got The S373D!
They were out of that size rain caps when I went in today for the muffler. I will get one or do a slashed cut.

There was what appears to be some sort of engagement lever with a switch on both other s372's. I grabbed one of those. I got a whole pile of brackets and stuff, but no gearbox or clutch or anything, belt is missing and the blades arent there.

One of the tractors was rolled, the other one is another lower hour machine. He is keeping both though with plans to get them running. One had a second hydralic with remote couplers he would not part with.

Overall I have been happy with the tractor thus far, now I need to find something to use with it.

/ Got The S373D! #7  
I would be interested to hear your comparison of the S373 pulling your disc plow vs the John Deere garden tractor. I don't know what model your JD is, but they're probably about the same size.

Your fabrication skills are excellent; your disc plow is a thing of beauty.

/ Got The S373D!
Funny you should mention its size vs the JD because yesterday I lined them up for comparison pictures:

Attachments

• 2 tr.jpg
    2 tr.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 485
  • 2 tr 2.jpg
    2 tr 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 571
   / Got The S373D! #9  
I'm interested to hear a review/comparison of those two machines. They seem to be fairly comparable in terms of size and weight, but with a little bit different approach: A heavy lawn mower that is beefed up enough to serve as an agricultural tractor, vs an ag tractor shrunk to be able to do lawn care/garden type tasks. Will your disk plow fit the Beaver?

/ Got The S373D!
Most of my attachments for my JD's are Cat 0 3pt, so I will either make a "quick hitch" that has spacing for cat 0, or make up a new set of arms with 5/8 bushing and the right width for cat 0 and a cat 0 top link with some bushing to make it fit the tractor. I have some arms bent up and 5/8" bushing already as I was going to build a 3pt for another tractor...

I have a 332 Diesel John Deere which is like a 318 in size. Its a 16hp 3 cylinder liquid with cat 0. I also use it to pull the disk plow and a 12" moldboard, so that will be another baseline tractor for this one.