clutch and pilot bearing repair ?

/ clutch and pilot bearing repair ? #1  

p650gnewt

Tractor
Satoh 650g
hey i am new member. i have a 1972 satoh 650g and it has been operating fine. i was driving cutting wood, shut the tractor off and on restarting it took off in gear and the clutch would not disengage. i tried all the usual remeidies for a stuck clutch. ordered the manual which came today.

the clutch does not appear to be stuck. i clamped the clutch down and slipped a bent kitchen knife between the flywheel and clutch disc and it looks to be released. there is probally 1/4 to 5/16 between the throwout bearing and the pressure plate fingers.

has anyone had to replace the pilot bearing on the 650g? and is the 1/4 to much space between the fingers and throwout bearing causing it not to relase completely. up until i saw the manual i didnt know the pressure plate fingers were adjustable. i have been getting ready to split the tractor.

thanks for any comments

/ clutch and pilot bearing repair ? #2  
The flywheel to clutch disk contact is the only link from the engine to the transmission. The engine can't transmit power if the two are separated with nothing in between. Is it possible that there is something jammed in there, between the flywheel and the plate?

I don't know about the 650G, but some of the other Japanese compact tractors of this same vintage have roll pins in the clutch pedal or linkage. Is it possible one of them has sheared or bent, so isn't giving you full travel of the linkage?

The release bearing didn't suddenly fail while it was sitting parked, so there must be either something else wrong, or a part we're missing in tracking down the problem: It cannot be that both the flywheel and pressure plate are totally separated, the release bearing isn't touching the fingers, and the tractor still delivers full engine torque through the clutch.

/ clutch and pilot bearing repair ?
thanks for the reply

yesterday upon further investigation, i was trying to adjust the clutch release levers. i did two and on coming to the third it was broken. so that appears to be the problem. i am headed out to split the tractor today. thanks again for the reply and i will write what i actually find.