Angry Beaver project (FEL build)

/ Angry Beaver project (FEL build)
The first Hyd block adapter had some issues.. When i drilled and tapped the 3/8 NPT threads, they were too close to the bolt holes. Once the cylinder bottomed out...she leaked like a sieve. I thought it was the orings at first, so I got fatter O-rings.. Negative....

Took the last cylinder I had and chopped it up again.. Learned my lesson and used a 1/4 NPT this time.....

22af0920.jpg

I got a real end milland "machined" it for brass washers instead of Orings.

259b231f.jpg

f0de28a4.jpg

80ef84ef.jpg

d99c9be2.jpg

ac047286.jpg

c5cef13f.jpg

That is a clarke 8K forklift for size comparison.

8a739bcf.jpg

9a7f6f9b.jpg

500c99f4.jpg

Last edited:
Got all the supports and subframe bolted in and buttoned up. She is ready to work!

Picked up my 6' landscape rake. Not sure what it weighs, but she didnt grunt even at idle. Cylinder speed isn't that fastest, but IT WORKS!!

3aa1fc65.jpg

ef1ffe00.jpg

19fd27b1.jpg

56812a32.jpg

Here's some action pics of it today.... I only found one problem.... the bucket isn't big enough...... Seems the seal on the bucket cylinder is leaking.... thats ok, I need to either get a longer stroke cylinder, or get two and change the geometry a little....whats the benifit of 1vs2 dump cylinders on a smaller machine with a slow pump?

fc2695cf.jpg

20b0cd45.jpg

84fee72a.jpg

16479097.jpg

0111cc0c.jpg

a774937c.jpg

4c633b0d.jpg

and here was my temporary cold air until I can fab up the new one...

406ddc1d.jpg

c9c28d88.jpg

and a quick video....

/ Angry Beaver project (FEL build) #54  
That looks good. Consider putting something heavier out back, to save the front axle, steering box, and your arms.

I like the air intake, too, but can't help but comment: I don't trust K&N filters anymore. I like the paper element filters much more. If you're stuck with the K&N, I would get foam to wrap it, and spray the foam with motorcycle foam filter oil. It won't help as much as it should, but it's at least more filtration than the bare cotton gauze.

That looks good. Consider putting something heavier out back, to save the front axle, steering box, and your arms.

I like the air intake, too, but can't help but comment: I don't trust K&N filters anymore. I like the paper element filters much more. If you're stuck with the K&N, I would get foam to wrap it, and spray the foam with motorcycle foam filter oil. It won't help as much as it should, but it's at least more filtration than the bare cotton gauze.

the K&N was only temporary so I could play...

Here's my rear weight... 4- 57lb wieghts, 2-40 lb weights, 2-25 lbs weights plus the hitch plate weighs 55lbs. I have 120lbs of wheel weights on each wheel, as well as calcium filled tires... I think I'm good on weight... lol

e686ef46.jpg

734e0ba8.jpg

/ Angry Beaver project (FEL build) #56  
Great job! Looks like the loader will do what you need.

/ Angry Beaver project (FEL build) #57  
...Here's my rear weight... 4- 57lb wieghts, 2-40 lb weights, 2-25 lbs weights plus the hitch plate weighs 55lbs. I have 120lbs of wheel weights on each wheel, as well as calcium filled tires... I think I'm good on weight...

Yeah. I think you're good on weight.

/ Angry Beaver project (FEL build) #58  
Real Nice! :thumbsup:

/ Angry Beaver project (FEL build) #59  
Real nice job on the loader,you will find lots of ways to keep it busy........

Enjoyed the well documented build !!

From CT

/ Angry Beaver project (FEL build) #60  
I think you're fine on weight too, I like it. The earlier photos didn't make it appear that suitcase weights were mounted on the weight bracket, and I was nervous for your front axle with buckets of stone.

That's about the weight I run on my Yanmar 1401D: I put 6 44lb suitcase weights onto a 42" box blade with another 45 lbs bolted onto it. I like more weight on the rear implement whenever possible for loader work. The Yanmar's axle is tucked fairly far back, under the engine, rather than toward the bumper.

Everything sure looks good. You said the speed is kind of slow for the cylinders. I wonder if that is a restriction somehow at the valve or adapter. How much does the speed change with respect to engine RPM?