Buying Advice Need implements for Satoh Beaver 4x4

/ Need implements for Satoh Beaver 4x4 #1  

dlrepic

Tractor
Satoh Beaver 4x4
Good day,
I just called the local equipment rental place and they said they don't rent implements. Does anyone know what size tiller, mower, etc that I would need? Or do I need to locate the PTO information for my specific tractor. I've only had it a month.
Thanks
Danielle

/ Need implements for Satoh Beaver 4x4 #2  
Hi welcome to the tbn forums,
Satoh beavers are I believe, 15hp with catagory 1 size 3 point hitch. A 4' tiller would be about right, same with a finish mower. A rotary cutter on the other hand may have to be a 42'' to work with that much horse power.
Also, the some of the early Beavers had a non-standard pto I reckon, either counter clockwise rotation or not having the standard 6 spline 1 3/8'' pto shaft or both.
Best check that 1st.

/ Need implements for Satoh Beaver 4x4
Thank you
I will look to see what type of PTO I have.

/ Need implements for Satoh Beaver 4x4 #4  
What model number Beaver do you have?

S-370D
Thank you

/ Need implements for Satoh Beaver 4x4 #6  
The S370 rotates opposite normal, or counter-clockwise. Except for the Kubota B6000, and the old Cubs (which have their own setup entirely), the S370 is rare because it isn't compatible with most implements without some extra work. I've read of people who have reversed mower blades and used the cutter like that; some of the belt driven finish mowers won't work, because the belt tensioners can't function properly.

Augers, obviously, cannot work either. Tillers can sometimes be swapped side for side on tines and made into a functional machine, or, if the construction allows it, the drive axle inverted and everything left alone. Hydraulic pumps can be had in rotations either way, so hydraulically powered implements are doable, but often are sized for much bigger machines.

Non-powered implements will work fine as long as things are properly sized. A small disk, box blade, scraper, plow, etc will work fine behind your machine, and they can do a great job preparing gardens, maintaining driveways or horse arenas, and so forth. Depending on what type of implement and usage you're doing, the size will be in the 4 foot range, as morris9640 mentioned. What you're wanting to do with the machine will really affect what is optimal for you.

A scraper blade used to maintain a driveway or a rake can be bigger, perhaps 5 feet if you're moving things side to side a lot. A bottom plow or disk will work better if it is smaller but heavier/goes deeper. I have a heavy 4' disk harrow that puts a real load on my compact but very dense Yanmar YM186D, a comparable machine to yours that is a half-step larger but almost twice as heavy. It works very, very well, and doesn't need any apologies made for it, though the cut is fairly narrow.

A wider disk won't work well with these lighter machines, since they can't cut as deep and be pulled, or pulled fast enough to flip the soil properly. On my Satoh 1440 (the three cylinder, Japanese market version of your Beaver) that same disk is too heavy, but is doable if carefully managed. The compact tractor implements aren't normally as heavy as this one, which appears to be custom built.

A 42 inch to 4 foot box blade (I have tried both on my ST1440) works well. The 42 inch pulls a little better when heavily loaded or for ripping, the 4 footer covers the tracks more easily, and will smooth loose fill faster.

For gardening, these machines were originally designed to power tillers on commercial farms, and they perform as intended. They are superb tilling machines, having well matched, slow ground speeds available and a variety of PTO speeds. My 1440 came with what is probably a 42 or 44 inch tiller. It works so good that I have just left it mounted, and it is my go-to tilling tractor for gardening. It makes an absolute joke out of a walk behind tiller, even my high quality Honda unit. It actually works a little too well sometimes, leaving frothy tilth that is soft enough to easily bury my hand beyond the wrist.

I prefer to have my implements a little bit smaller than larger, but that's not anything written in stone. I'd just prefer to be able to pull the same implement faster or deeper or more heavily loaded. For my purposes it works better. If you're just maintaining already established landscapes, you can go up a bit in size to speed things up.

Good luck with your new tractor, and congratulations. The Beavers are fine little machines, and I really like mine. Post some pictures!

Thanks - I really just plan on tilling. But I haven't been able to locate a tiller attachment. I'll keep looking. I appreciate the advice.
Danielle

OH - and I got it stuck in a sink hole up to it's belly Saturday. It's so muddy here and I was on the uphill side and just slid in:( Finally got it out, what a mess to clean.

/ Need implements for Satoh Beaver 4x4 #9  
I have an MT372, the PTO rotation is clockwise, as explained earlier that provides a lot more options. I have a little 42 inch Brush hog style mower that works great, and a 40 inch tiller that is really great too. Mine is 2 wheel drive so I have to be careful where I put it.

I hear you on the sloppy conditions...hoping the rain stops soon.

/ Need implements for Satoh Beaver 4x4 #10  
I have a repair manual for the S370 Beavers. it was my understanding that all Satoh beavers had CCW pto with the 18 splines. According to the manual, a standard CW 6 spline PTO option was availalble.. I don't know if that meant with a pto reverser installed or not.

There was two companys that made pto reversers for our little work horses. Hub city was one and I can't remember the other, but they have both been out of business for years. Best bet would be to find a Woods RW CCW mower or try to find a pto reverser from one of the specialized grey market used tractor parts guys.

Mine is 4 wheel drive, It pulls a 4' box blade just fine, and a 5' rear scraper blade just fine. I was worried after reading here, that it wouldn't handle both...

well...its done a fantastic job!

df56d915.jpg

237d7342.jpg

95c0e6c2.jpg