need help finding a HYD tap adapter for a Satoh Beaver

/ need help finding a HYD tap adapter for a Satoh Beaver #1  

Freakingstang

Gold Member
Tractor
s370d
I'm looking for this adapter. I've called a couple tractor salvage yards and bought what was supposed to be this... I've yet to find any leads on anything used and don't really want to shell out 500 bucks for a "new" one.. Any help? leads?

Hydraulic20PTO-1.jpg

/ need help finding a HYD tap adapter for a Satoh Beaver
This is the one I was sent. They assured me numerous times that it would work but the bolt hole pattern is about twice the diameter. Any idea what tractor this one fits?

HydraulicAdapterunknown-1.jpg

/ need help finding a HYD tap adapter for a Satoh Beaver #3  
Is it perhaps from an S373? The adapter doesn't look impossible to make, if it came to that.

is this correct thinking about how the new setup should be ran? or do I need the return from the aux tank to go straight to the case?

Hydraulic20PTO-1-1.jpg

/ need help finding a HYD tap adapter for a Satoh Beaver #5  
I think that you will be better to not run the auxiliary tank. On the Yanmar versions I have seen, the valve is in series with the three point valve, and the three point gets its pressure from the downstream of the loader valve. In this case, that would mean your tank is pressurized and closed to the atmosphere. If not, you will have no power at the three point.

Here are a couple diagrams of how a parts supplier for Yanmars solves these issues:

Yanmar Tractor Parts: HYDRAULIC ADAPTER - ADD A LOADER / LOG SPLITTER

Remote hydraulic install on a Yanmar

While these are for a Yanmar, they are all the same idea, and the adapter may even fit onto your pump. The way the second diagram is plumbed has caused some discussion about whether the valve is designed to be pressurized on the return side or not, but one of my tractors came that way from Yanmar, and another had an aftermarket loader added in that style. None have been any trouble. While that is anecdotal, many others have the same setup and have no major issues.

/ need help finding a HYD tap adapter for a Satoh Beaver #6  
I'm looking for this adapter. I've called a couple tractor salvage yards and bought what was supposed to be this... I've yet to find any leads on anything used and don't really want to shell out 500 bucks for a "new" one.. Any help? leads?

Hydraulic20PTO-1.jpg
That's where ours connects in and we do not utilize an auxiliary tank. No, you cannot have my adapter thingy. It supplies our loader, grapple and even the log splitter.

That's where ours connects in and we do not utilize an auxiliary tank. No, you cannot have my adapter thingy. It supplies our loader, grapple and even the log splitter.

so you mean to tell me you have no aux tank?

I thought the blackhawk uprights were aux tanks....the system sure doesn't hold that much fluid... 2-1/2 gallons...

/ need help finding a HYD tap adapter for a Satoh Beaver #8  
I don't know about the Blackhawk loaders, but the couple OEM loaders I've looked at from Kubota, Yanmar, and Bolens came one of two ways. Either they used the hydraulics from a divider block at the three point valve, as you're trying to do (And tapping into the hard line upstream of the lift valve accomplishes the same thing) without any additional tank, or there is a standalone pump, driven off the crankshaft or via a belt, with a reservoir in one of the uprights.

This seems to break all of the guidelines for having the reservoir size equal to or larger than the pump's output in GPM, but every one of the vintage Japanese tractors I have or have looked at use one of those two setups. I've never seen an auxiliary tank in series with the transmission reservoir.

/ need help finding a HYD tap adapter for a Satoh Beaver #9  
Taking hydraulic fluid from the gear case isn't that terrible, since when all of your rams are fully extended there should only be a net difference of about 1/2 gallon +/- compared to when they are retracted in the gear case reservoir. You can calculate the exact difference by adding up all the cylinder rod diameters and extended lengths and see what volumes they add up to. This will be the volume you'll be short when the cylinders are fully extended. I believe most gear cases take around 3 gallons, so if you are picky about that stuff, you could split the difference and put in an extra quart of gear case fluid so you'll be high a quart when retracted, and short a quart when fully extended. The good news about running at the stock fluid level is that most of the time you probably won't be driving the tractor all over the place with the cylinders fully extended so you shouldn't find yourself in a low condition in the gear case. However, I would make sure that the gear case is at the correct level frequently to avoid running into a low condition.

Attached are pictures of the adapter from an S373D for reference. The triangular piece on the left is the piece that would normally only be on the 3-pt hydraulic case.

Attachments

• Satoh hydraulic adapter A.jpg
    Satoh hydraulic adapter A.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 713
  • Satoh hydraulic adapter B.jpg
    Satoh hydraulic adapter B.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 666
   / need help finding a HYD tap adapter for a Satoh Beaver #10  

Hydraulic20PTO-1.jpg

I'm still lurking here from time to time, and now I have a new problem. Working on a FEL build for my Beaver, I was eyeballing that particular hydraulic port as just an attachment point to get hydraulic pressure to the three point system from the pump. What does the double O ring setup accomplish? Without having disassembled the connection, I had started making an adapter to bolt on there; only I had envisioned one O ring so cut a large O ring groove into the face of my adapter. Anyway, I haven't completed all the machining so if the part goes into the scrap bin it isn't too large a loss. So, can you explain what the double ports accomplish other than just transferring pressure from pump to three point system?
How much oil will leak from this connection when I remove the three bolts holding the assembly together? At some point, I suppose I'll have to remove those bolts and try to get dimensions for an adapter since what I have now probably won't work.