Tractor
    Mitsubishi 470D

Default thinking about adding an overflow tank to cooling system

on the Buck. This may not improve the function much, but would allow the radiator to be completely full all the time with no air, avoid spilling antifreeze on the ground, and require less "topping off". Maybe it would improve the cooling function a little. I brainstormed an idea for the tank:

Tablecraft Square Glass Tall 16 Oz Olive Oil Dispenser Bottle Commercial Quality 727875059949 | eBay
    (they're available local for well under $10)

it will fit between the radiator and mesh grill, and would be easy enough to mount, and could just replace the bottle cap's pourer w/ vent tube with a straight tube running to the bottom of the bottle. Just connect the existing overflow tube to that.

The radiator cap would have to have a vacuum valve that would open to allow coolant to flow back into the radiator when the unit cooled down. My existing old cap doesn't appear to have this. I wonder how hard it would be to get a 10 lb cap that also has that valve, and fits the Buck?

Would this work, and be a worthwhile little project?

Default Re: thinking about adding an overflow tank to cooling system

We've got one of those particular Table Craft olive oil dispensers on the cabinet, using it for what it was made for. And as you said, they are much cheaper locally.

For a coolant recovery bottle, I think it's too small. I know it would cost more, but you'd probably be ahead to buy a coolant recovery kit that's made for the purpose.
    Bird

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    International Harvester 284, Yanmar 1401D, Yanmar 240, and others...many others...

As Bird said, I think just buying a generic version of an overflow tank from the parts store is the better bet, but it is certainly possible to do something else; it might even be cheaper. There's a streetfighter style R1 motorcycle in my garage that has an overflow bottle re-used from an Aussie brand hairspray or mousse bottle, for instance. It's even cheaper to use free stuff, and it doesn't look too bad once polished up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -p8170141-jpg  

Tractor
    Mitsubishi 470D

I don't want to spend a lot of money or time on this; I picked that bottle for ease of use and it holds a pint in a narrow shape. Got it for $5 at
    Bed, Bath, and Beyond. The issue is the Buck doesn't have much room under the hood, or between the grill and radiator. The tank in the generic kits I've seen is much too large for the space I've got to mount it. The whole cooling system capacity is only 5 qts, so I'm thinking maybe a pint of overflow is enough. I realized I need to leave the small vent open, in case it does overflow. So I'll just use the spout as-is, and add a tube on the bottom of the stopper, running down to the bottom of the bottle. Also, my local Advance has a cap coming tomorrow am. Stant #10237 10lb for open or closed systems, $5.22.

Got it for $5 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
    Yep, that's where we got ours.
    Bird

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    International Harvester 284, Yanmar 1401D, Yanmar 240, and others...many others...

I'm certain that oil dispenser will work fine, and it is cheap. I like it.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

Shucks, an old fashioned windshield wiper fluid bag (vented) would be ideal for compact spaces, for that matter any plastic vented container will do.
    I'd guess for CUT's (3-4 cyl) about a quart should suffice.