PTO grinds when I press the clutch in

/ PTO grinds when I press the clutch in #1  

dbax10

Tractor
1992 John Deere 755 4WD
Hoping you guys can help. I have a 1976 Satoh s650g. When I am running my brush hog and depress the clutch, I can hear clicking of the gears from what sounds to be the transmission. Is that normal? I recently purchased the tractor and would like to hear from you all if there is a fix, or if this is just how they fun. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / PTO grinds when I press the clutch in #2  
Does the bushog coast to a stop and does the clicking slow as it slows down? ... Or does the clicking just correspond to engine RPM? Does the tractor perhaps have an overunning clutch in the PTO? ... [When you have the pto engaged running the hog, do engine and hog speeds rise and fall promptly together as you vary the throttle?]
larry

/ PTO grinds when I press the clutch in
Thank you for the reply. The hog works properly all the time, the clicking noise slows as the brush hog slows. Is that normal?

/ PTO grinds when I press the clutch in #4  
Youre welcome.
...Perhaps ... or perhaps a harmless anomaly. W/o answers to all the questions and perhaps more, we cant know if it signifies a real problem.
larry

There is no clicking noise at all while it is operation, only happens when I press the clutch. I'm new to all of this and am not sure if it's a problem or not.

/ PTO grinds when I press the clutch in #6  
There is no clicking noise at all while it is operation, only happens when I press the clutch. I'm new to all of this and am not sure if it's a problem or not.
I understand. Unfortunately I am not familiar with your tractor, so I am uncomfortable extrapolating from a limited clue. It could be an overunning clutch [like a one way ratchet] in the pto line that lets your implement coast down when not driven. Thats why I asked whether the bh slows directly as engine rpm decreases. An overunning clutch would let it freewheel to a stop.
larry

/ PTO grinds when I press the clutch in #7  
I think SPYDER is correct. It sounds like a overrunning (ratcheting type) clutch is present. I suppose it could be something else, but unlikely.

Thanks guys. I suspect you are right after talking with my neighbor. So the "ratcheting" sound I hear is that clutch slowing down? I just bought my first 7 acres and am trying to get as much knowledge as possible. This site is great.

/ PTO grinds when I press the clutch in #9  
Thanks guys. I suspect you are right after talking with my neighbor. So the "ratcheting" sound I hear is that clutch slowing down? I just bought my first 7 acres and am trying to get as much knowledge as possible. This site is great.
Maybe. ... If yould answered my question, asked repeatedly, wed have more to go on.
larry

The implement free wheels to a stop when I press the clutch. The throttle has nothingno do with it.