Beaver re-do

/ Beaver re-do #1  

springes

Tractor
Satoh Beaver
Hello, I bought a beaver last year. First tractor I ever owned. I got a lot of very usefull info off this site. This Beaver had a lot of work when I got it. I tore it down and replaced 4 gears in tranny,replaced the clutch (even added a pilot bearing),satrter and waterpump. These are a very nice tractor. I am amazed that you cannot stall it out! Did all the wrenching last year and this year tore it down and got a good coat of primer and paint on it. thought I would include a couple of pics.

Attachments

• P7270047.jpg
    P7270047.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG10061.jpg
    IMG10061.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG10062.jpg
    IMG10062.jpg
    604.1 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG10083.jpg
    IMG10083.jpg
    905.6 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG10085.jpg
    IMG10085.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG10088.jpg
    IMG10088.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 537
   / Beaver re-do #2  
Nice job - looks great! It's amazing what some wire-wheeling and paint can do. I like tractors since sheet-metal is limited and sheet-metal, to me, is the most difficult. I don't think I'll ever want to restore a car or truck for that reason. All the rest of the parts on a tractor are heavy and, if not physically broken, really only need clean-up once in a while.

That's interesting you had to replace four gears in the tranny, so did I on my S373. There's another post here where I discussed it. Mine also had a wiped front pinion and broken axle housing (front) which was a very unpleasant surprise. I was amazed it was unnoticable until I actually when into it to replace some seals.

I have the tractor portion complete (less a few stickers) but still need to clean and paint the loader and rebuild the control valve assembly. Here's a few pics of where I'm at.
Mitsubishi S-373D K3A engine A.jpgMitsubishi S-373D B.jpgMitsubishi S-373D D.jpgSatoh S373D motor painted A.jpgSatoh S373D engine right.jpgS373D left side full.jpgS373D rear.jpg

/ Beaver re-do
Thanks! Yours is looking pretty dam good. Its some work, but the outcome is nice. In the tranny, I had to replace high range gear(no teeth left on it!) and two other gears were missing teeth. Also in the lower case there was no 4wd engagement gear. It has been a really nice project. I was lucky and the engine and hydrulics were in good shape. I got everything working but one thing. I need to locate a water temp sensor. Havent had much luck there.

/ Beaver re-do #4  
Appreciate the comments. My 3rd gear (hi and low) was howling and had cracked teeth. Also the reversing gear was bad and two others were marginal but I replaced them anyway. The lock ring that holds the gear cluster on one of the shafts had broken the shoulder off of the shaft and the whole assembly shifted causing only half-contact on the gears and subsequently failure due to excessive stresses because of smaller surface area contact.

You should be able to find a temp switch (I think you mean switch) from Bill Rogers (Valley Power) or Len Scheaffer (www.japanesetractorparts.com). If it were me, I'd just put an electric temp gauge on it though unless you're trying to keep it original.

/ Beaver re-do #5  
Beaver 001.jpgBeaver 002.jpgBeaver 003.jpgBeaver 004.jpg

Seems there a few of us re-doing these tractors :thumbsup:

/ Beaver re-do #6  
Looks good. These take a lot of time/money/effort but give a lot back too when done. Thanks for posting :drink:

/ Beaver re-do #7  
Beautiful work guys.

Can you elaborate on where you gut gears for the tranny, where they new or used. I have a clicking in mine, maybe a tooth or 2 is missing from one?

/ Beaver re-do #8  
I have purchased used gears from Valley Power. I don't believe new ones are available from Mitsubishi, or if they are, you probably don't want to pay the current pricing for them :shocked:

/ Beaver re-do #9  
Springes, awesome job on your repaint. Could you give some information about your prep work and what paint you used? I bought a heavily used S370 for mowing down 30 acres. It's gotten through 10 so far. The other day the radiator clogged up and ran hot. Boiled out all of the water and ran it hot and wide open with a 48" bush hog on there at the highest PTO setting. Of course I had no idea what I was doing but it was fun and ran through some 3' grass like nothing. I went back out there yesterday and cleaned the fins with engine foaming cleaner, compressed air and some water in a bug sprayer (no water or electricity at the field) and expected to pay dearly for beating up the Beaver. It started right up in 30F weather and ran all day without a hiccup.

That's a tough little tractor and in about 3 months I'd like to tear it down and paint it up like yours.

/ Beaver re-do
Thanks for the complement. To prep, I wired brushed evervthing with a 3" wire cup wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Where that couldent get into I use a 1/2 wire cup wheel on a dremmel. I then cleaned everything good with soap and water and gave it one coat of primer and one coat of paint. The paint and primer I used was just Rustoleum enamal in spray paint cans. Its some work,but I think well worth it for these little machines.