Mitsubishi D1300

/ Mitsubishi D1300 #1  

cadowdell

Tractor
Mitsubishi D1300
I have a Mitsubishi D1300 4X4. It was making a chattering sound in the transmission area so I removed the top cover and one of the gears teeth is chipped. Not totally broke but it is the main transission gear. Is there a way of getting all of the fluid out of the lower end of the transmission box? I need to make sure I remove all of the chipped pieces from there before I put in new oil. Please advise.

/ Mitsubishi D1300 #2  
I'm not familiar with the 1300 but most have a drain plug at the bottom of the case. Both of mine have two. If you are draining the oil you might as well clean the screen too. If it is anything like mine, the screen will be held in by two bolts on the side of the case near the bottom. It will be a fine mesh tube screen.

/ Mitsubishi D1300 #3  
I'm not familiar with the 1300 but most have a drain plug at the bottom of the case. Both of mine have two. If you are draining the oil you might as well clean the screen too. If it is anything like mine, the screen will be held in by two bolts on the side of the case near the bottom. It will be a fine mesh tube screen.

You may be money ahead by tearing the gearbox down, or at least doing a full up borescope inspection before you run any torque through it again. A chipped gear tooth often has a mating, chipped gear tooth on the other shaft due to something hard (like a chip from a gear tooth) going through mesh. Since good gearbox design usually encourages the use of hunting tooth ratios, every tooth on the mating gear will mesh with that damaged tooth. Often, replacement gears can be had at a reasonable price, but the shafts they run on may be very expensive. Castrophic failure of a gear mesh under load may trash the shafts, too. Don't mean to sound all Henny-Penny, just saying find out what your options are before you commit to running it again with damaged gears.

/ Mitsubishi D1300 #4  
You may be money ahead by tearing the gearbox down, or at least doing a full up borescope inspection before you run any torque through it again. A chipped gear tooth often has a mating, chipped gear tooth on the other shaft due to something hard (like a chip from a gear tooth) going through mesh. Since good gearbox design usually encourages the use of hunting tooth ratios, every tooth on the mating gear will mesh with that damaged tooth. Often, replacement gears can be had at a reasonable price, but the shafts they run on may be very expensive. Castrophic failure of a gear mesh under load may trash the shafts, too. Don't mean to sound all Henny-Penny, just saying find out what your options are before you commit to running it again with damaged gears.

Heed BGs advise. It's warning you now and those things only get worse fast.

/ Mitsubishi D1300 #5  
I'd agree with the previous advice and investigate how it might have been caused and fix that problem too.