Bush Hog & Box Blade

/ Bush Hog & Box Blade #1  

Spanky46

Tractor
Satoh S370D diesel
Looking for sizing help for bush hog and box blade for my Satoh S370D Beaver. Not sure what size (4 ft?) I should keep a look out for at auctions, etc. Son purchased this tractor for me at estate auction for use at our TN home. It runs good. I'm fixing to service tractor. I appreciate any help/guidance with my new toy. Earl :)

/ Bush Hog & Box Blade #2  
Before you buy a bush hog, turn on the pto and see which way it turns. Most pto attachments need clockwise pto. The 370 could have counter clockwise. If you are lucky, your tractor might have a reverser on it.

/ Bush Hog & Box Blade #3  
Quick way to tell I believe would be to count the splines. If it's got 18 (?) fine splines, it's CCW. If it's the 6 course splines, it's CW.

Reversers can be found but are $$$. Wish my Beaver had one but would have to come up with a different pump for my backhoe if I had one.

/ Bush Hog & Box Blade #4  
A general rule of thumb is 5hp per each foot of cut. I don't know the hp rating on your tractor, so a 4' cutter may or may not work for you.

As for the box blade I'd say 20hp use a 60" BB, under 20 up use a 48" BB.

Ken

/ Bush Hog & Box Blade #5  
I had a 60" BB on my Beaver at one point. It would easily stop the tractor and so didn't do a whole lot of good for me. 48" is the max I'd use on it. Said 60" is now used on my Deere where it works like it should.

/ Bush Hog & Box Blade #6  
Check the PTO rotation by engaging the drive, just to be certain. I have a grey market ST1440, the updated version. It is supposed to be (according to people who know vastly more about the Mitsubishi tractors than me) a reverse-rotation PTO, but it is clearly clockwise when on.

I wouldn't go bigger than a 4 foot cutter. A 42" rough cut mower would be better.

For the box blade, it depends on what you intend to do and your conditions. If you're just smoothing gravel or dirt, a larger unit will be fine. But if you're wanting to be able to peel soil and fill the box, a smaller implement is better. I would suggest a 42" to 4' wide unit for the box blade, too.

/ Bush Hog & Box Blade #7  
I run a 42 inch mower on my MT372, and it works great. Tried pulling a 6 foot blade once and had to take very little bites and still ran out of "traction juice". Seems like a 4 foot would be better.

/ Bush Hog & Box Blade #8  
@284, my Mitsubishi D1450FD is like your 1440, at least on the PTO. It has the 18 spline short stub and turns clockwise, for which I am thankful. Years ago I gave away a Woods yoke made for this stub. Then I had to buy one.