satoh S650G engine changeablility ?

/ satoh S650G engine changeablility ? #11  
Hey Andy w, I just bought a s650G and it ran for 5 hours, and I'm pretty sure I have a rod bearing going out. Knocks and has an intermittent screech when it's at higher RPMs. Set of rod bearings is $200 and same for the main bearings, plus who knows what else is bad. Found a V2203 for $1600, think I'm going to try your refit. You still out there in case I have any dumb questions?

/ satoh S650G engine changeablility ? #12  
Hey Andy w, I just bought a s650G and it ran for 5 hours, and I'm pretty sure I have a rod bearing going out. Knocks and has an intermittent screech when it's at higher RPMs. Set of rod bearings is $200 and same for the main bearings, plus who knows what else is bad. Found a V2203 for $1600, think I'm going to try your refit. You still out there in case I have any dumb questions?

Anybody know where a guy can get a used PB100 engine?

/ satoh S650G engine changeablility ? #13  
I also have recently added a Satoh S650G to my collection of small tractors after reading about the Kubota transplant a few weeks ago decided this would make for the perfect tractor engine combination..

The Mazda engine is tired needing a complete overhaul but the parts are outrageously priced, in the interest of those who in the future may require the odd part I'll save the engine from the scrap pile.

Since reading this article had immediately began my search for a Kubota V2203 DI engine, four days on the phone with hundreds of calls. I finally hit pay dirt my engine is coming from damaged Carrier Ultra reefer unit.

I actually found two V2203's one is a Indirect injection for $800.00 Canadian, but I had set my goal was to acquire the older Kubota V2203 direct injection engine which I found are getting as rare as hens teeth.

Once the engine is home,I'll have the measurements made into a CAD drawing so that the adapter plates maybe laser or possibly cnc plasma gas assist for a nicer cut.

Later on I'll post a few picture of the loader I found in the weeds that will eventually find it;s new home permanently mounted on this Satoh.

Short intro, retired scrap yard owner, monkey wrenching a few older garden type tractors, Satoh S650G, Kubota B7001, Simplicity Powermax 9020 and a Case 195.

Future projects, increase my garlic crop, build a distilling unit for essential oils which will be primarily Black Spruce.

/ satoh S650G engine changeablility ? #14  
The junkyard V2203 home with first start up after sitting five years.

/ satoh S650G engine changeablility ? #15  
Andy how thick is the adaptor plate and did it hold up to heavy use?Thanks Jim

I have begun my Satoh S650G tractor V2203 DI Kubota engine swap the adapter plate is made from 1/2" steel plate.

We did a wet and dry compression test this afternoon on the Mazda engine, the rings are worn.

/ satoh S650G engine changeablility ? #16  
Back story from Andy W, the adapter plate is confirmed at 1/2", the Satoh S650G flywheel is re-drilled to fit the V2203, radiator gets moved forward, the hydraulic lines extended, a love joy coupling replaces the OEM hydraulic pump coupling.

The holes in the adapter plate drilled behind the Kubota flywheel must be countersunk in order for the bolt heads to clear the flywheel.

The Bendix gear from the Satoh is removed then welded somehow onto the Kubota starter bendix.

From my own observations the Satoh flywheel measures 9 3/4" while the Kubota is a whole inch larger and will not fit inside the bell housing.

You have to split the tractor in order to remove the engine.

split.jpg

/ satoh S650G engine changeablility ? #17  
The Mazda engine used in the Satoh S650G is wet sleeved. After removing the cylinder head and a few 10mm nuts the top of the engine along with the sleeved comes right out.

You do not need a press to remove or install these sleeves.

I destroyed the engine block as I was only after the rear portion having the bolt pattern, using transfer punches to mark the hole locations onto my half inch thick steel plate.

A metal plug gets turned on the metal lathe to fit where the crankshaft used to reside, a half inch hole drilled dead center will help locate the crank center on my steel plate.

top_half.jpg

bottom_half.jpg

sleeves.jpg

template.jpg

/ satoh S650G engine changeablility ? #18  
The original fellow ground some of the ribs from the Kubota engine to make room for the starter, I'm going to instead cant the engine a few degrees to the right to allow for the necessary clearance.

Regarding welding the Bendix gear from the Satoh starter to the Kubota one, is not going to happen as I have found two vehicles that use a 30mm OD Bendix 9 tooth gear, one of the Ford Ranger models and the Grey market Mitsubishi Pajero also sold as a left hand drive known as the Montero in North America.

ribs.jpg

/ satoh S650G engine changeablility ? #19  
Hi all,
I am a new member and new owner of an old Satoh tractor...
I live in Richmond , VA and I have a family farm in Africa with a Satoh 650G tractor
Lately we have been struggling with starting the tractor/keeping it running even after installing a petronix ignition system...We never know if/when the tractor would start and it makes it so difficult to shcedule any repair.
I am seriously considering swapping the engine and I would like to gather some opinion on adapting a carburated 18 L Toyota 7A Engine as that is all we can find here...

RustyDollar, I truly appreciate the pictures and details you provided, and I was wondering if you could provide more picture of the tractor gearbox/clutch and on how you will attach the new engine to the old gearbox.
Much appreciated. Thanks

/ satoh S650G engine changeablility ? #20  
Pictures of the 1.6 litres Toyota 4A engine and the 1.3 litres Toyota 4E engine, they both have a 200m flywheel, so they should fit, but I wonder how the satoh clutch would work with this... thanks in advance for your responses. 4AE Carubator Engine.jpgToyota_2E_engine.jpg4AE Carubator Engine.jpgToyota_2E_engine.jpg