New to me MT4201FD, Have questions, Please help!

/ New to me MT4201FD, Have questions, Please help! #1  

DENALIAKITAS

I picked up a MT4201FD and i am in need of manuals for it but not sure where to get them? Also are there any salvage yards for these tractors as mine is missing the 2 side fairings. Does this model have glow plugs and if so how do you activate them? Its really cold blooded and you have to give it a quick squirt of starting fluid to get it started and it runs like crap till it warms up then runs perfectly. Also is it a 42 horse or a 50 horse tractor? The limited info i can find refers to it with both ratings. I am sure i will have more questions but for now its a start

/ New to me MT4201FD, Have questions, Please help! #2  
I don't know your specific model of MT but I have a MT 180D.
DON'T use starting fluid as you can do serious damage to the pistons and that can be very costly.
On just about all tractors, turning key to left and holding is the preheat position. A little window near the key will glow red to indicate glow plugs are hot and on mine the relay is heard to click when hot. (my glow indicator does not work so I rely on the 'click')

Now as to manuals, couple of members specialize in the brand and surely will respond, just be patient. (both called Bill)
sheaftractor@grics.net
www.japanesetractorparts.com
www.sheaftractor.net
and
http://www.satohparts.com/
With a 4 number (MTxxxx) model you might just be what is called a 'grey market' model ( not made for export) but generally fairly close to some USA model.

And welcome to TBN, a great site with lots of helpful and knowledgeable guys.

Last edited:
   / New to me MT4201FD, Have questions, Please help! #3  
PILOON covered it pretty well, you may consider posting pictures for comparisons to other tractors if your model is not specifically listed on a manual.

/ New to me MT4201FD, Have questions, Please help!
Its 23 degrees here right now and it was 3 degrees overnight so a couple mins ago i went out and turned the key counter clockwise and held it there for 30 secs then cranked it and it sputterred a few times so i held it another 30 seconds and cranked it and it slowly started to catch on its own and started. No starting fluid needed. The guy i bought it from didnt even know it had glow plugs and said he always just used a really small squirt of fluid.
Also what weights of oil/fluids/types does this thing take? Really need a manual.

/ New to me MT4201FD, Have questions, Please help! #5  
Its 23 degrees here right now and it was 3 degrees overnight so a couple mins ago i went out and turned the key counter clockwise and held it there for 30 secs then cranked it and it sputterred a few times so i held it another 30 seconds and cranked it and it slowly started to catch on its own and started. No starting fluid needed. The guy i bought it from didnt even know it had glow plugs and said he always just used a really small squirt of fluid.
Also what weights of oil/fluids/types does this thing take? Really need a manual.

First off, be sure that you use deisel rated oils as they contain additives that are needed. Just like a car, lighter grade for winter and heavier for winter. Also multi grades are available and probably best.
If you have a loader use universal hydrailic fluid (oil) in the tranny even tho most manuals suggest gear oil.
The finals use hypoid gear oil.
Use an anti gelling additive in your fuel as fuel tends to gell in the cold weather.(gelling is the waxes (parafin) in fuel that looks like gobs of jello when cold)
You want to greese all zerks typically after every 8 hrs of usage, saves wear on pivot pins.
Wall marts are a good place for economical buying of all fluids.
Surprisingly auto parts have very good listings for filters and even include Mitsubishi, or just read off the old filter # and they will cross referance.
In most model Mitsu the hydraulic filter is a tubular screen inside the transmission tunnel with an oval like pannel on the tunnel side. Filling is often a corner hole in the gear shift lid and there is no 'dip stick'

Whenever I get to own a used piece of equipment I like to change all fluids as who knows what kind of care the previous owner gave it.

/ New to me MT4201FD, Have questions, Please help! #6  
50 engine hp, 42 pto hp. If you use the glow plugs do not use ether. It can damage the engine. Email me for manuals. MT4201 parts tractors are real scarce.