no start

/ no start #1  

ihuntbear

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 tym T554 and 1999 Kobota m4700
have a satou 650 that wont start..think its the float in the carb..anybody know how to set one..gas is pouring out the tube on top of the carb and the float isnt stuck..think its called air tube for fuel bowl...also having problem with intermitting fire..sometimes it has it and some times it doesnt..think its in the voltage regulator..think im going to put a gm alternator on it and bypass everything else...also starter is getting weak..does anybody know what starter will fit

/ no start #2  
These copies from the book have some helpful information in regards to setting the float. Intermittent spark sounds like bad ground, plug/coil wires, condenser, points, or cap but not so much like regulator/alternator unless your system isn't charging at all. Numbers for alt/reg are as follows:
Alternator
Common to Ford/Mazda Courier P/U 71-80 NAPA #213-8830
Voltage Regulator
GP Sorensen #26-5072 (solid state)
Transpo #IM952
Ignition parts #'s
Distributor Cap
NAPA #EP-710
Borg Warner #C 585
Rotor
NAPA #EP-711
Contact Points
NAPA #CS-360
Borg Warner #A 529
Condenser
NAPA #EP-300
Borg Warner #G 658
Coil
NAPA #ICR23
Ignition Wires
NAPA Belden 7mm 4cyl #700172 (universal fit but good fit)

I don't have a starter number but you might look into having yours rebuilt. carb float 1.jpgcarb float 2.jpg

/ no start #3  
have a satou 650 that wont start..think its the float in the carb..anybody know how to set one..gas is pouring out the tube on top of the carb and the float isnt stuck..think its called air tube for fuel bowl...

I'd suggest its uncommon for a float to be so far out of whack that fuel pours out the overflow. Assuming the float is OK and its been installed the correctly, its more likely that the problem is the needle and seat. It could be worn or theres some grit thats preventing the needle from sealing properly.

/ no start
im just about ready to send this to the scrap dealer..I fix one thing then another thing happens...vicious circle..would like to find a part number for a carb kit and starter kit...It seems it doesn't turn over fast enough to fire up..battery is fully charged..Put new coil on ,new plugs,new condenser,new points,took carb off and soaked it,cleaned gas tank.only fires some times,checked and cleaned all wire connections..float level seems good now...starter is dragging and need a kit for it...after turning it over for a while starter is hot to touch..im going back into the garage tomorrow and pull the starter

/ no start #6  
[starter is dragging and need a kit for it...after turning it over for a while starter is hot to touch..im going back into the garage tomorrow and pull the starter[/QUOTE]
Sound like your insulation on your winding has broken down.. will over time.. a good starter rebuild shop can pull and dip your windings.. most times it is cheaper than a new starter..

/ no start
brought the starter to the rebuild shop today..have it back next week...Anybody know what the spark plug gap is??

/ no start #8  
Hello all! First time poster. Recently acquired a S650G and have been trying to get here running. Spark was weak so we replaced the points, condenser and rotor as well as all 4 plugs. Spark is now very good as a result. After cleaning out the fuel tank and adding fresh gas we pulled the fitting off at the top of the carb and noticed the fuel volume while turning it over seems low? Does anyone know the NAPA number for the fuel pump or is it better to just go electric? Thanks, Truckman

/ no start #10  
ihuntbear, I gapped them .032" and also pulled the valve cover to verify the timing marks on the harmonic balancer were in the right position when the #1 cylinder was TDC. There are 2 marks on mine. I think the other is for using a timing light to verify the 6 degrees BTDC while the unit is running. Hope this helps. Truckman