Need help pulling rear axle

/ Need help pulling rear axle #1  

smithbrl

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitlubishi D2350
I have a D2350 with a leaking rear axle oil seal. I have the seal but am having trouble getting the cover off of the back side of the housing to access the nut and lock ring to remove the axle. It's pressed in with no lip to pry under for removal. I don't want to destroy it if I can help it.

Anybody done this before? It has the same setup as the S630 Bull, D2300 and the D2050 and maybe others. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

/ Need help pulling rear axle #2  
I had the top cover for the transmission get stuck that way on one of my Yanmars. It seems like the gaskets used 30 years ago, or the sealer, or something bonds the two parts together, surprisingly tight. Even though the top cover is only about 8 inches square, it literally took an engine hoist to pull enough to pop the thing off.

I would first try a rubber or plastic mallet, or a piece of board and regular hammer, and wallop the thing several times. Do you have a service manual? Are there dowel pins locating the cover? Are there bolt holes threaded into the cover you could use to attach a chain and bolt to? A 2x4 across a back tire should provide enough leverage. In the last resort, you could drill and tap a hole in some part of the cover, and run a bolt down the hole and use it to press the cover free.

Good luck, make sure you share how you get it off!

/ Need help pulling rear axle
I have a service manual but the only help it gives is "remove the rubber cap". It also says to remove the rear axle housing which I don't have the equipment to do.

The plug is a little bigger than 3" in diameter and made of thin sheet metal. It seems to have an inner and outer cover as there is a small hole about 3/8" in the middle of the outer cover and there is another cover on the inside. I've sprayed some PB Blaster around the outer and maybe I can use the hole to pry the plug out. However the outer cover has a lot of rust due to the small hole and doesn't appear to be very rigid.

If that doesn't work I'll probably use your suggestion and drill a hole near the edge, insert a sheet metal screw and try to use that to pry the cover off. I'm trying to get this cover off without tearing it up too much but it's got to come off, destroyed or not.

Thanks, I'll update as I proceed.

/ Need help pulling rear axle #4  
Take some pictures if you are able, and post it here. The part I was thinking of isn't lightweight or thin. It may be that you can take off the larger cast cover and apply more force than you can to the thin cover. I'll go look at my D1800, but post some pictures of what you're talking about.

OK, I took some pictures but I'm not too good with this stuff. May take a few tries.

Thanks

Rear Axle Cover 1.jpgRear Axle Cover 2.jpgRear Axle Cover 3.jpg

These were taken lying on my back under the tractor so it's maybe a kinda screwy angle.

/ Need help pulling rear axle #6  
Is that hole in the center supposed to be there? A trick that might work is to first find a round bar that fits that hole pretty close but still goes in easy, a ratchet extension might work. Then get your grease gun and fill the cavity under the cover full up with grease. Full, ... the more the better. Then take the round bar and place it in the hole that is now full of grease and whack it with a hammer. The pressure might force the cap off. Kind of messy though. This trick works on removing throwout bearings. It also assumes the space behind the cap is "fillable".

skylarkguy

The hole isn't supposed to be there. What you can see through the hole appears to be the back side of the cover-double wall. I'll keep the "grease" trick in mind for future use.

Thanks

/ Need help pulling rear axle #8  
Is that hole in the center supposed to be there? A trick that might work is to first find a round bar that fits that hole pretty close but still goes in easy, a ratchet extension might work. Then get your grease gun and fill the cavity under the cover full up with grease. Full, ... the more the better. Then take the round bar and place it in the hole that is now full of grease and whack it with a hammer. The pressure might force the cap off. Kind of messy though. This trick works on removing throwout bearings. It also assumes the space behind the cap is "fillable".

I don't think you mean throwout bearing I have used it on pilot bushing in crankshafts

/ Need help pulling rear axle #9  
I am certain I don't know more than the service manual, but I am surprised there is a pressed in plug like that to access the axle nut. It looks a lot like a casting/freeze plug in an engine block. The other tractors I have seen go through this procedure the requirement is to pull off the top housing for the three point lift and access the mechanism from the top, or pull a plate off around the PTO output shaft and get to it from that direction. I don't see how a mechanic could have adequate access through that tiny plug to pull the axle nut or retaining clip.

This guy did a great writeup on a Yanmar YM2200, which is about the same vintage as your Mitsubishi, and may have similar designs. To do it, he just pulled the axle housing, then disassembled the axle from the inside. DOUG'S PLACE - YM2200 Axle Bearings

Make sure to take many pictures and to post them, so that another person comes along with the same problem they have at least some idea of how to do it.

/ Need help pulling rear axle #10  
Yeah, I indeed mean pilot bearing...sometimes my thoughts and my typing don't match up