S373D 4x4-front axle seals

/ S373D 4x4-front axle seals #1  

duwem

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere Garden Tractors
Anyone ever gone through and replaced them? When I got the tractor the front spindle/hub areas were all greasy, and the level in the front axle is way down. Want to get some fluid in there but not if its all going to leak out again.

Its more of a step down design then some of the other tractors with the big ball shaped pivots like on the S370 I believe.

Not mine, but an example attached.

Attachments

• 89680869.jpg
    89680869.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 551
   / S373D 4x4-front axle seals #2  
I've done it on both of mine, should be exactly like yours. It's not that bad. I remember doing the Buck first and think there is a bushing that had to be pressed in. Will try to remember to look at my books when I get home. Just don't leave a socket in there like I did. Luckily nothing broke, just made the right front wheel slide now and then.

/ S373D 4x4-front axle seals #3  
Its more of a step down design then some of the other tractors with the big ball shaped pivots like on the S370 I believe.

I consider this design superior to the universal joint design (ball style). This design allows a tighter turn radius and also better ground clearance (comparing the same tractors and their respective designs). The seals are relatively expensive and not that easy to come by and are a specialty seal for the S373D front axle. I believe "small import tractor supply" is where I bought them from (need to verify the name) out of Oregon.

/ S373D 4x4-front axle seals
Sounds good, I found a service manual showing the breakdown.

Anxious to know about the seal avaliability/cost.

Thanks.

/ S373D 4x4-front axle seals #5  
Expect about $20-25/ea for the final drive housing seal and to have it ship from Japan. This seal is noticeably thin and will require some machining to be done on the drive housing components to "retrofit" a standard seal once they are no longer available - if it's even possible. Originally the seal was composed of two separate thin lip-seals but have later been replaced with a single but double-lipped, thicker seal (still fairly thin though) w P/N 10070641001. I've heard there are some businesses that can custom make seals like this but I'd expect the price to triple or quadruple for 1 and 2 quantities. The other seal is standard metric you can get cheaply off ebay. It might not have the metal face but will still work.

Yeks, anyone ever tried Valley Power or others for the seals?

How many are there per side one would want to replace?

Here is the diagram from the shop manual.

Attachments

• front end.JPG
    front end.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,400
   / S373D 4x4-front axle seals #7  
There are only two seals (if you count the P/N from my last post as one) and one O-ring per side that goes from the final drive to the axle housing. See attached....

Attachments

• Satoh 373D front axle parts_Page_1.jpg
    Satoh 373D front axle parts_Page_1.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 2,683
  • Satoh 373D front axle parts_Page_2.jpg
    Satoh 373D front axle parts_Page_2.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 484
  • Satoh 373D front axle parts_Page_3.jpg
    Satoh 373D front axle parts_Page_3.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 733
   / S373D 4x4-front axle seals #8  
I replaced 2 number 27's on each side. That was where it was leaking. Also replaced the bushings, #26. I got the parts from Valley Power and don't think the seals were all that bad but it was a long time ago.

What seals the cases together like 7 to 15, 38 to 15, 28 to 20? Just RTV or is there gaskets there, dont see gaskets on the breakdown.

I suppose it wouldnt be a bad idea to replace seal 34 as well.

/ S373D 4x4-front axle seals #10  
The case covers that don't have a shaft going through them just use a sealant compound - silicone works fine.