D2350 hard to shift

/ D2350 hard to shift #1  

smithbrl

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitlubishi D2350
While grading my driveway today, I noticed that after the tractor warms up that I can shift up and down (first and reverse or second and third) but when I have to move the shift lever left or right to get to another gear I have trouble almost every time. It shifts fine everywhere til it heats up.

Anybody experience this? If so, what did you find to be the problem.

Thanks
Cecil

/ D2350 hard to shift #2  
Well Cecil my Mitsu was having something similar to your problem and I changed all my trans/hydro fluid out and that cured my problem. Not saying that that will fix your issue but it did fix mine. Let us know what fixes it....

/ D2350 hard to shift
Hey speedyspider2050

Thanks for the help. I've had the tractor for 2 months. When I got it, it had a lot of water in the trans oil. I changed the oil 6 weeks ago so I don't think that's the problem but I'm glad it worked for you. It's strange that it works fine when I first start out then gets harder.

I just spent a week replacing bearings and seal in the right rear wheel hub and I really don't feel like going back and working on the tractor again so soon but I guess I will.

I'll repost with my progress.

Thanks
Cecil

/ D2350 hard to shift #4  
What type of oil did you put in there smithbrl?

/ D2350 hard to shift
oliver28472

I put 85/140 gear oil in it. A little more than 3 gal.

Cecil

Last edited:
   / D2350 hard to shift #7  
Cecil... That seems pretty heavy to me for this time of year. The 85/140 might be ok for the front diff. But I use 5w-40 in my trans/hydro. If you dont want to use the Amzoil syn. I have had great luck with Lube King Premium Trans/hydro fluid.

/ D2350 hard to shift
Well if you don't mind spending a pretty penny switch over to Amzoil Synthetic 5w-30. Thats what i put in mine and it really shifts nice. Here is a link if you want to read about it.

I'm sure that's great oil but I'm afraid it's too spendy. Thanks for the link.

Cecil... That seems pretty heavy to me for this time of year. The 85/140 might be ok for the front diff. But I use 5w-40 in my trans/hydro. If you dont want to use the Amzoil syn. I have had great luck with Lube King Premium Trans/hydro fluid.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's pretty heavy also. The day I was using it, it was around 75° so I don't know if the oil would have made a difference or not.

When I changed the oil I bought a 5 gal bucket of 80/90 gear oil which is what the manual recommends. After I drained the contaminated oil I added 3+ gal of the 80/90 and ran the tractor for a while. I checked the trans oil and it was still a little milky. I drained the oil again and put in the almost 2 gallons of 80/90 and some hydraulic oil I had. I ran the tractor again and wasn't pleased with the color of the oil. So I went back and got another 5 gallon bucket but the 85/140 was $10 cheaper than the 80/90 so I bought that. I didn't think it would matter too much, seeing as the cooler temps should produce the lowest viscosity in the oil. But maybe it does matter.

While I was putting it into the tractor I remember thinkin "man, this stuff is thick". I may drain and save this oil and get another bucket of 80/90wt.

I talked with Bill and Lemuel @ Valley Power and they think there are some detent balls and springs on the shift rails that may have been corroded or rusted from the contaminated oil that was in the tractor when I got it. So I may pull the control top plate and have a look.

Last edited:
   / D2350 hard to shift #9  
Well I would think if the detent balls and springs were rusted the shift would be the same hot or cold. I am by no means a professional tractor mechanic but that seems logical to me. If it shifts fine cold and hard when warmed up I think the heat expands something that causes the problem. Just sounding off hear. I hope you get it resolved without a lot of expense. Keep us posted Cecil... Best of luck with this one....

/ D2350 hard to shift
speedy

I'm with you about the hot/cold thing. Don't make sense, but like you, I'm far from being a professional tractor mechanic.

Hopefully, the shift control top plate won't be too hard to remove and I can have a look tomorrow.

Thanks for the well wishes

Cecil