Clutch pedal blocking while in storage

/ Clutch pedal blocking while in storage #1  

smithbrl

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitlubishi D2350
Hi

I've read about "blocking" the clutch pedal or tying it down in the "clutch disengaged" mode when not using the tractor for long periods of time so the clutch or pressure plate doesn't rust to the flywheel .

Does anybody know if that causes the springs on the pressure plate to weaken?

Please explain.

Thanks
Cecil

/ Clutch pedal blocking while in storage #2  
Not sure about your model,but do push the pin to disengage clutch also put transmission in netural after each use.

Last edited:
   / Clutch pedal blocking while in storage #3  
Not sure about the answer to your question but my MT372 manual tells the operator to use the attached clutch holding device if the tractor is to be parked for a long period. Any weakening of the springs isn't as bad as rusting that clutch disc to the flywheel

/ Clutch pedal blocking while in storage #4  
I have bought 3 Mitsubishis that have sat outside for probably 15+ years without the clutch in the locked position and none of them had stuck clutches.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if stored indoors.

/ Clutch pedal blocking while in storage #5  
I don't think it makes any difference where the tractor is stored. MY BIL's JD 750 was inside his shop for a couple weeks only while he was touching up the paint and the clutch froze up on it. It wasn't too bad and I was able to break it loose by just rocking it by hand but it wouldn't go into gear. I have left my LS P7010 for 4 months setting outside but under a shed and no clutch problems and BILs JD has set outside under a shed for month and months and not rusted but then it rusted shut in a couple of weeks.
It is best if you block it open. If your tractor doesn't have locking pin or rod, usually you can wedge a piece of wood between the clutch pedal an frame somewhere to block it in the down position (disengaged) I have seen folks that didn't do it and would be dragging their tractor around forward and backward with the tires sliding for hours trying to unfreeze the clutch.

/ Clutch pedal blocking while in storage #6  
It relives the pressure off of the pressure plate so the springs will not get weak. A lot of new tractors have a hole in the clutch pedal and a latch to hold them down during storage.

/ Clutch pedal blocking while in storage
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm gonna rig something up to hold the pedal down.

Cecil

/ Clutch pedal blocking while in storage #8  
I've had mixed results with clutch freezings also. One tractor sat in the garage in a fairly humid environment for 15 months without being touched and it never froze up. Another sat outside for a month and froze up and could not be freed until I popped off the clutch housing plug and slid a putty knife between the disc and the plate. Since then I've been careful to make sure the clutch lock is set on that one. I've heard once they freeze up they have a tendency to re-freeze easier although I don't personally have experience with that.

Last edited:
   / Clutch pedal blocking while in storage #9  
Not sure about your model,but do push the pin to disengage clutch also put transmission in netural after each use.

Springs weaken when they're cycled (pushing the clutch down repeatedly), but they still last many many hours.
Leaving a dry clutch against the pressure plate for extended periods can result in the clutch assembly rusted together. That's not good and you can't always break it loose...resulting in replacing parts.
So, do block that clutch, if it's a dry type clutch. I've done this for both tractors I've owned (that had dry clutches) as well as a Porsche 911 I'd owned for many years (sold about 15 years ago) with no ill effects.

/ Clutch pedal blocking while in storage #10  
Cecil, look around on your linkage to see if there is some type of flip latch to do this. My tractors are not the same model as yours but both have such a latch.