Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mitlubishi D2350

Default Clutch pedal blocking while in storage

Hi

I've read about "blocking" the clutch pedal or tying it down in the "clutch disengaged" mode when not using the tractor for long periods of time so the clutch or pressure plate doesn't rust to the flywheel .

Does anybody know if that causes the springs on the pressure plate to weaken?

Please explain.

Thanks
    Cecil

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Default Re: Clutch pedal blocking while in storage

Not sure about your model,but do push the pin to disengage clutch also put transmission in netural after each use.
    Last edited by Thomas; 02-08-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA

Not sure about the answer to your question but my MT372 manual tells the operator to use the attached clutch holding device if the tractor is to be parked for a long period. Any weakening of the springs isn't as bad as rusting that clutch disc to the flywheel

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere Garden Tractors

I have bought 3 Mitsubishis that have sat outside for probably 15+ years without the clutch in the locked position and none of them had stuck clutches.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if stored indoors.
    Mitsubishi/ Satoh S-373D

John Deere 70, 140, 332, 345, and 420 Garden Tractors and attachments, Struck MD45 Dozer

2002 Silverado, 1950 3100 Pickup, 2002 VW Golf TDI

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I don't think it makes any difference where the tractor is stored. MY BIL's JD 750 was inside his shop for a couple weeks only while he was touching up the paint and the clutch froze up on it. It wasn't too bad and I was able to break it loose by just rocking it by hand but it wouldn't go into gear. I have left my LS P7010 for 4 months setting outside but under a shed and no clutch problems and BILs JD has set outside under a shed for month and months and not rusted but then it rusted shut in a couple of weeks.
    It is best if you block it open. If your tractor doesn't have locking pin or rod, usually you can wedge a piece of wood between the clutch pedal an frame somewhere to block it in the down position (disengaged) I have seen folks that didn't do it and would be dragging their tractor around forward and backward with the tires sliding for hours trying to unfreeze the clutch.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

It relives the pressure off of the pressure plate so the springs will not get weak. A lot of new tractors have a hole in the clutch pedal and a latch to hold them down during storage.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mitlubishi D2350

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm gonna rig something up to hold the pedal down.

Cecil

Tractor
    Iseki TX1300F/TX1500/ TX2160F/TS2220F/ Satoh S373D

I've had mixed results with clutch freezings also. One tractor sat in the garage in a fairly humid environment for 15 months without being touched and it never froze up. Another sat outside for a month and froze up and could not be freed until I popped off the clutch housing plug and slid a putty knife between the disc and the plate. Since then I've been careful to make sure the clutch lock is set on that one. I've heard once they freeze up they have a tendency to re-freeze easier although I don't personally have experience with that.
    Last edited by Ilikeurtractor; 02-09-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    One nice thing about being average is you're not alone.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Not sure about your model,but do push the pin to disengage clutch also put transmission in netural after each use.
    Springs weaken when they're cycled (pushing the clutch down repeatedly), but they still last many many hours.
    Leaving a dry clutch against the pressure plate for extended periods can result in the clutch assembly rusted together. That's not good and you can't always break it loose...resulting in replacing parts.
    So, do block that clutch, if it's a dry type clutch. I've done this for both tractors I've owned (that had dry clutches) as well as a Porsche 911 I'd owned for many years (sold about 15 years ago) with no ill effects.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

Cecil, look around on your linkage to see if there is some type of flip latch to do this. My tractors are not the same model as yours but both have such a latch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast