Satoh S-650-G fuel pump

/ Satoh S-650-G fuel pump #1  

satohbison

Tractor
1980 Satoh Bison
I went through a fuel starvation problem and after putting an electric fuel pump (which helped), I had more problems and finally took the carburetor off, cleaned it out and got a re-build kit (and re-built it); now it runs beautifully.
I've had this tractor since 1983 and I'm very, very, happy with it.

Last edited:
   / Satoh S-650-G fuel pump #2  
Hello again... exactly what I'm going through right now. I thought it was the carb, but its BRAND NEW...I still took it apart and cleaned it out. Looking into checking fuel pump pressures/suction this weekend.

I was thinking of going with electric fuel pump if mechanical was bad... what brand of fuel pump did you buy? specs? easy set up?

Thanks for the info... also, welcome to TBN!

Raf

/ Satoh S-650-G fuel pump #3  
Also...

when I put the carb back together...something gives me the feeling that I might have "missed" something. The fuel bowl, at the bottom had this little brass pin (looks like a flat brass top-looking from top of bowl down into it). When I removed the carb to clean it, I turned carb to it's side and it came out. I was surprised it was an actual brass pin that just sat at the bottom of the fuel bowl. Thought that was interesting (I'm not very experienced in carb design, so more of a "hmmm, that's neat"). After I cleaned carb, jets, vacuum and all nooks, I assembled it and "gently" took it to the tractor. I fumbled and the carb toppled over onto its side. I didn't think much of it, until I installed it all and had a thought, "is that little pin in the hole?". So, I took the drain bolt off (at least that's what I think it is...it sits off the fuel bowl, but it doesn't actually go into the fuel bowl it goes into a little chamber where you can see that little pin - one sees the shaft of the pin as the head is inside the fuel bowl). Anyways, no pin visible...so I disassembled the carb (on the tractor this time) and that little pin sat at the bottom of the fuel bowl. I placed the pin back into the hole and reassembled everything.

Now... what is the purpose of that pin? Is it a "weeping" hole? Does the pin control fuel into that other chamber? Or is this a manufacture thing and I just "plugged up" my carb and that's why I have the fuel starvation thing going on?

When I removed the "drain bolt", fuel didn't come out in a stream or anything like other small engine carbs. It just sort of dribbled, if that at best - more like a fast droplet, maybe 3-5 a second. Fuel bowl was full and it took a few minutes (4-5) to drain that tiny bowl...so this "weeping" hole, doesn't allow that much fuel to pass through.

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Raf

Let's keep these Ol' girls going... although I was ready to push mine into the Potomac River these last two weeks...hahahahaa

Attachments

• DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 888
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 507
  • fd.jpg
    fd.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 412
  • fe.jpg
    fe.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,002
  • ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
   / Satoh S-650-G fuel pump #4  
On Valley Powers web site theres a exploaded picture diagram of the carb.
Perhaps looking at it you can see something. My carbs float bowl doesn't have a pin rolling around in it.

Lee

/ Satoh S-650-G fuel pump #5  
I think I may know where your pin goes now after taking my carb apart last night.
It looks like the pin mine has in the floats needle. The needle has a spring in it then the pin over the spring. if the float drop is set to low it would allow the pin to fall out when theres no fuel in the bowl keeping the float a floating. Theres no plug in the hole yours ended up in in your picture. That hole in the bottom of the bowl leads to the main jet and the drain plug.
Hope thats of some use to you.

Lee