Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

Default Re: Weldable grab hooks

Thanks again. Be careful with that duct tape.
    Last edited by stuckmotor; 02-24-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    john deere 5115M MFD w/ FEL

Im in agreement with kennyd , grade 100 is over kill. If you break the the grade 70 hooks , you have 1 STONG TRACTOR. I would stay with the 70. I also know that industial equipment does not use or build hooks on there equipment (late model) The reason Im told is called LIABILITY. The CAT dealer I talked to, told me they had lawsuits for hooks breaking and seriously hurting ,killing people. If YOU notice you will see no hooks on factory blades,or buckets . All my equipment has factory holes for Shackles . Im not saying hooks wont work , but if you need 100 grade hooks you must have 1 big HI LIFT. just my 0.02cts.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Maybe you need bucket hooks, instead of chain hooks.

Rigging Products, Inc. Sales Online: 13.X Weld On Bucket

Bruce

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Furakawa 351

Over the years I acquired a set of hooks that had two bolt holes in them they are 1/2 inch hooks I bolted them on then welded them on. They work great for 3/8 chain as well.
    I have welded on hooks that were just for use with a pin to the chain, I ground the outside flat and welded them on then tested them with the max lift of the loader.
    You never, ever rely on a chain, Never, do you position your self were if the chain breaks it can hit you. That is Russian Roulette, most times if I am pulling a heavy load, I put an old canvas tarp over the chain, I am just not in to that pain and agony stuff.
    Just a thought!

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100, M6800

Yeah, it always shocks me when I see people under or in a dangerous position with a component that can break. What are they thinking?

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    Farmall

Image of factory chain hooks on a 1960's vintage John Deere 350 Crawler Loader.

By employing the 9300 backhoe attachment as a counterweight, I once loaded a scrap center pivot section of a 1940's Bucyrus power shovel. The section weighed in at 12,500 lbs at the scrap yard.
    By raising the boom and curling the bucket then cribbing under the load to get another bite, managed to load and center the pivot section on a 42 inch high flatbed trailer.

Each chain was evidently carrying 6250 lbs, never gave a thought to the grab hooks failing (or the bucket or the boom failing).

The real stress on the hooks doesn't come from raising the boom alone but from curling the bucket which creates maximum lift.

Weldable grab hooks-350chainhook-jpg
    "I know the end of humanity is near when my tractor comes with a place to store and plug in a cell phone, but no tool box" -- God's Country

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123