Loader Weldable grab hooks

/ Weldable grab hooks #1  

Tinkerbelle

Tractor
Massey ferguson
I am trying to find grade 100 weldable grab hooks for Massey ferguson front end loader. someone told me I need 100 grade instead of 70 grade. Anyone can help me find grade 100 or is 70 strong enough? I had some I got from dealer but they broke off

thanks for any help

/ Weldable grab hooks #2  
Grade 100 is required for lifting as opposed to tying down. So look for some place like Southwest Wire Rope in New Iberia, they will have them. Or, look in the Yellow Pages under wire rope and find a place near you.

/ Weldable grab hooks
thanks for the information I will give them a call

/ Weldable grab hooks #4  
Did the hook or the weld break?

Bruce

/ Weldable grab hooks #6  
I am trying to find grade 100 weldable grab hooks for Massey ferguson front end loader. someone told me I need 100 grade instead of 70 grade. Anyone can help me find grade 100 or is 70 strong enough? I had some I got from dealer but they broke off

thanks for any help

It appears all the readily available weld-on chain hooks are sourced from.China.

I have not seen a prominent USA manufacturer offer weld-on hooks.

If you need a grade 100 chain hook, purchase an eye hook like this one:
https://www.americanproducers.com/i...search&qdx=0&ID=,CM.Hoist...Columbus.McKinnon.

An eye hook gives somewhat more weld area once the eye is cut off.
Yes, this is what most equipment owners use when attaching grab hooks to a bucket.
These hooks are very weldable, though preheat is recommended.
A 7018 rod will be of sufficient strength since the bucket metal at the point of attachment shouldn't be a higher grade of steel than the 7018 rod can handle.

Entire Catalog here:
http://www.cmworks.com/promos/pdf/CMRP-0709.pdf

/ Weldable grab hooks #7  
It appears all the readily available weld-on chain hooks are sourced from.China.
I have not seen a prominent USA manufacturer offer weld-on hooks.

That is true of the big box stores and most "consumer" retailers like tractor supply, but not true of the commercial suppliers that sell to rig operators and industrial users. I have not seen Chinese-made accessories being sold by the commercial suppliers. They may be pricey, well, actually they are pricey, but very reliable.

The eye hook suggestion is spot on.

Another thought, when the load is too heavy what do you want to break, the hook or the bucket. I see the hook as the equivalent to a shear pin to protect the loader arms and bucket.

For that reason I use a little different system, a 2" x 4" x 1/2" plate welded to the bucket, a nut welded to the plate, and a clevis type hook attached with a bolt into the nut. The bolt is the sacrificial link that gives way when the strain is too much. When that happens, you pick up the clevis type hook, a new bolt, and re-install the hook. You are on your way in short order if you keep a couple of extra bolts in your tool box.

Last edited:
   / Weldable grab hooks #9  
Grade 100 is just plain overkill for a tractor. A G70 3/8" hook is rated for 6,600 pounds, and a 5/16" 4,700 pounds. The bucket would fall off the tractor before one of those broke!

http://www.boltonhooks.com/images/Chain WLL1.jpg

All of the forged weld on hooks are that AWD, Grainger, KBOGH, and various other places sell are made in China and distributed by BA Products.

Last edited:
   / Weldable grab hooks #10  
Grade 100 is just plain overkill for a tractor. A G70 3/8" hook is rated for 6,600 pounds, and a 5/16" 4,700 pounds. The bucket would fall off the tractor before one of those broke!

http://www.boltonhooks.com/images/Chain WLL1.jpg

All of the cast weld on hooks are that AWD, Grainger, KBOGH, and various other places sell are made in China and distributed by BA Products.

I would have assumed that when you got to a grade 70 or higher, the hooks would be forged?