Trouble starting a Mitsubishi D1800

/ Trouble starting a Mitsubishi D1800
I did give it another try yesterday afternoon. I turned the switch, waited 45 seconds, and tried to start. This time it was putting out a little bit of white smoke. Still, it never fired.

Thanks for the advice. I mentioned before, I just replaced the glow plugs. I don't know if the smoke was black before b/c I had the old glow plugs in, or if it was because I had spent more time trying to start the engine. It was definitely black before and it was white yesterday.

Ok, next time I can get some tools out there, I will test the glow plugs and test the power going to them.

Thanks

/ Trouble starting a Mitsubishi D1800 #12  
Try cracking the nut open to each injector separately and crank it over. See if you notice a difference between the three conditions; both tight, only #1 loose, only #2 loose. Loosen up the nuts enough to see dripping while cranking but don't take the nuts completely loose. This may tell you if you have an injector malfunctioning. Don't forget to charge your battery.

/ Trouble starting a Mitsubishi D1800 #13  
Don't forget to charge your battery.

Or, if you have a good strong battery, you might try putting it in.

Spinning the engine with a good strong battery vs slow cranks can make a world of difference.

I think I've tried a heat gun in the intake/air cleaner.

Maybe ether, although my Ford 1715 tractor preignites the ether which will stop the crank which is very undesireable.

Good stuff. Thanks guys. Maybe I can test it out this Saturday. The tractor is sitting on property 15 miles from home. I'll go in armed on Saturday with a tester, extra wire, the boat cranking battery, a set of tools, and a prayer.

/ Trouble starting a Mitsubishi D1800 #15  
TomSeller's advice is good but has a subtlety to it: You're wanting to see if the smoke goes away with one injector line cracked, but not the other. If both conditions yield a decrease in the smoke volume then both injectors work. We already know the tractor is getting fuel, because it produces smoke. Without fuel, it won't smoke, period. So the test is to isolate if there is a malfunctioning injector or injection pump, and to determine which cylinder, if any, is not getting fuel. We know it gets SOME fuel, though.

Most of the Yanmar, Kubota, and Mitsubishi tractors I have or have been around use a resistor to the glow plugs to lower the voltage from 12 volts, and the glow plugs can be damaged by full 12 volt power.

I know you have replaced the glow plugs recently, but the white smoke implies that the fuel isn't burning completely, a typical symptom of insufficient pre-heating from the glow plugs. I suspect the key switch may be making intermittent contact with the circuit to the glow plugs, or the fuse may be blown/corroded.

The other advice about a good, strong battery and clean, solid connections is excellent.

/ Trouble starting a Mitsubishi D1800 #16  
How much throttle are you giving it when you are starting it?

/ Trouble starting a Mitsubishi D1800 #17  
I did give it another try yesterday afternoon. I turned the switch, waited 45 seconds, and tried to start. This time it was putting out a little bit of white smoke. Still, it never fired.

Thanks for the advice. I mentioned before, I just replaced the glow plugs. I don't know if the smoke was black before b/c I had the old glow plugs in, or if it was because I had spent more time trying to start the engine. It was definitely black before and it was white yesterday.

Ok, next time I can get some tools out there, I will test the glow plugs and test the power going to them.

Thanks

My Mitsubishi won't start unless i have the throttle,either hand or foot,set at least halfway. if I forget,it will crank all day and never fire.

Mike

SUCCESS! I went over there Saturday with some tools and a friend who is a little more knowledgeable than myself. It seems the issue was the glow plugs were not getting any voltage. We also tested the switch and there is no voltage output from G1 (the wire that goes to the glow plugs, or maybe it goes to the fuse and then to the glow plugs). Also, the weather was a nice 70 degrees. It seemed the throttle needed to be all the way to start. Before, I had the throttle at half or just past half. Anyway, it seems the warmer weather coupled with more throttle enticed the engine to start. After starting the first time, it started multiple times afterward rather easily. Thanks for all of your comments. I think I'll address the glow plugs by buying a new switch. If that doesn't produce voltage, I'll try and replace a fuse. Thanks to all.

/ Trouble starting a Mitsubishi D1800 #19  
Great news! Good job.

/ Trouble starting a Mitsubishi D1800 #20  
Take good pictures of your switch before you remove the wires. This could help some others here.