Locked up right front wheel...4x4...with pics...

/ Locked up right front wheel...4x4...with pics... #1  

speedyspider2050

Bronze Member
Tractor
mitsubshi d2050fd
So I am driving my Mitsu last Sunday moving dirt and all of a sudden right front locks up and wont move. Had to drive it back to the shop(about 300ft.} and jack it up and disassemble the whole right front 4x4 assembly. What I found was a lot of metal and ball bearings. Had to use my cutting torch to remove a collar from the drive shaft . Of course these things always break at the most inopportune times and always when the parts houses r closed... So Monday i go and get my new bearings. Luckily I ordered a service manual and a parts manual for this tractor so we cross referenced the numbers and found the bearings I needed. So back home after work and 2 hours later she was running and we got our driveway done and dirt all moved. The small roller bearing the sits up top on the 4x4 models gets little lubrication so u need to keep the front units full of gear oil. frequent checks r a good habit to get into. The front diff has a fill hole for just the ring and pinion and axles. The side box which has the tire and wheel mounted to it is separated from the front diff lube process. There is a separate fill hole for it as well. So u need to check a total of 3 areas on the front end as they hold gear lube in separate areas. The roller bearing on the top that was destroyed in the pics needs to b oiled on install. I oiled both bearings with Lucas Hub Oil additive. I also replaced all the bearings in the 4x4 hub assembly just because I don't want to have another incident with this side that is bearing related. Cost for all 5 bearings was just a little over $135.00. I also bought the 5 bearings for the left side as well and will tear it down in a couple weeks and replace them as well. I have been fortunate that this happened at home and not at a job... trac1.jpgtrac2.jpgtrac3.jpgtrac4.jpgtrac5.jpgtrac6.jpg

/ Locked up right front wheel...4x4...with pics... #2  
Good job and documentation of the problem. Glad to hear it wasn't a more serious issue. I would think that your 2050 and my 2000D share the same front end components so I appreciate the lubrication warning. I bought/sold several xx50 series tractors ( an 1850, 2350 and a 2650) and love the 4 cylinder engines.....very smooth. Still kinda kick myself for not keeping the 2650.

An FEL can really test a front end on a 4X4 machine. I have been more than impressed with the ability of mine to handle the stresses and abuse a loader has put on it at times. Cant tell you the number of times I have backed out with a full bucket of material and then realized the back tires weren't even pulling and the entire weight of the machine was basically on the front end alone. That's a really good way to destroy some hard to find gears but it has always held up to my stupidity. My next upgrade is going to be a power steering unit from TPS. I am tired of "steering by armstrong".

/ Locked up right front wheel...4x4...with pics...
Thanks Darryl... I will be tearing the left front end drive unit completely down and will post pics of it as I do it. It isn't showing any symptom of trouble but I think since the right side had trouble it is a good idea to do the other as I might not get as lucky as i was this time. I bought this tractor used with about 700hrs on it and it had a pretty hard life before I got it. But I totally agree with you on these little 4 cylinder Mitsu diesels... They are very smooth running and very dependable.