Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    mitsubishi mt210d

Default Re: No 4x4!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oliver28472 View Post
    Sounds like the front differential has been neutered. There has to be some parts missing, possibly the pinion gear off the input shaft? When you spin one front wheel and the other turns opposite, that is normal. The locker might be a little loose, not sure. Is there a nut on the shaft where it pivots? Most are pretty tight and have to be freed up. Can you tell by a close inspection if this tractor has been disassembled? You could have one of the notorious vietnam rebuilds. Hope not.
    This is what I'm thinking. I will tear into it this weekend. There is a guard around the driveshaft at the front yoke that is missing half it's parts. So it looks like is has been messed with.

Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe

Oliver is right on. It sounds like everything in the front drive system is working from the hubs to the diff. If the drive shaft is spinning the yoke, it should be turning the pinion gear shaft because the shaft is splined, not just pinned. Sounds like the issue has to be either a ring or pinion gear issue. I believe the pinion gear and shaft is one piece.

The lockslide has 2 dogs on it that engage the diff, the "bump" you are feeling is most likely those dogs attempting to engage. They or their corresponding slots are either too worn or something is loose or bent allowing a too short throw to enagment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No 4x4!!!-img001-jpg   No 4x4!!!-img002-jpg  
    Darryl

Tractor
    mitsubishi mt210d

Thanks,
    I will post back here when I get it torn apart.

Tractor
    mitsubishi mt210d

[QUOTE=oliver28472;3259549]Sounds like the front differential has been neutered. There has to be some parts missing, possibly the pinion gear off the input shaft?

I tore into the front end and the ring gear is not attached to the carrier. I don't yet know if the bolts have been sheered, if they backed out or both. I haven't split the case yet but the oil does not have any chunks of metal in it from what I can tell. and I cannot feel any metal in the bottom of the case. The mystery is there does not seem to be a way to get to the bolts on on the carrier/ring gear unless the case is split. So either the bolts have all sheered off and were fished out or somebody split the case and put the carrier and ring gear back in without the ring gear being attached. I will update when I split the case. Thanks or all the help.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

Good luck, I hope it turns out that the bolts were not put back in on re-assembly. There is a thread in part/repairs on dumb things like that. Haven't posted mine yet.

Tractor
    MT180D

[QUOTE=spinetx;3263771]

I tore into the front end and the ring gear is not attached to the carrier. I don't yet know if the bolts have been sheered, if they backed out or both. I haven't split the case yet but the oil does not have any chunks of metal in it from what I can tell. and I cannot feel any metal in the bottom of the case. The mystery is there does not seem to be a way to get to the bolts on on the carrier/ring gear unless the case is split. So either the bolts have all sheered off and were fished out or somebody split the case and put the carrier and ring gear back in without the ring gear being attached. I will update when I split the case. Thanks or all the help.
    I had all my carrier bolts shear on my MT180D. (cost me a carrier and pinion) When I re assembled I wire locked + used lock tight on the carrier bolts.
    I believe that what occurred is that vibration and torque slowly loosened and unscrewed the carrier bolts.
    The factory uses tin strips that have tabs that when bent should prevent movement but I did not trust this.
    I also substituted graded bolts for the factory parts.

In effect all the ring carrier bolts had sheared and the heads that fell off damaged the gear pair.

Reading your post suggests that perhaps I should open my differential and verify my status B4 I might need to (again) repeat my repair. Bolts are cheap, ring and pinion not.
    (I do use my FEL like it was a skid stear.)
    PM me if I can help U.

Good luck!

Tractor
    mitsubishi mt210d

[QUOTE=PILOON;3264616]
    Quote Originally Posted by spinetx View Post

I had all my carrier bolts shear on my MT180D. (cost me a carrier and pinion) When I re assembled I wire locked + used lock tight on the carrier bolts.
    I believe that what occurred is that vibration and torque slowly loosened and unscrewed the carrier bolts.
    The factory uses tin strips that have tabs that when bent should prevent movement but I did not trust this.
    I also substituted graded bolts for the factory parts.

In effect all the ring carrier bolts had sheared and the heads that fell off damaged the gear pair.

Reading your post suggests that perhaps I should open my differential and verify my status B4 I might need to (again) repeat my repair. Bolts are cheap, ring and pinion not.
    (I do use my FEL like it was a skid stear.)
    PM me if I can help U.

Good luck!
    OK, the ring gear bolts were sheared off. The Carrier and ring gear need to be replaced. I will definately be safety wiring all of the nuts when I put it back together.
    My question now is: Where do I get parts for this? I am really new to the tractor world and I know we don't have a Mistubishi tractor supplier around where I live. Is there a good online source for parts.?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

Tractor
    mitsubishi mt210d

Thanks,
    The search is on.

Tractor
    mitsubishi mt210d

Does anyone know of a "used part" supplier for mitsubishi tractors?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast