Bison in a box

/ Bison in a box #1  

Utah Bison

Bronze Member
Tractor
S650G Bison Ferguson TO30
Here she is my Bison in a box was delivered this weekend.
bison 117.jpg
So far im pretty happy. Seems its all here except for the governer cover.
Started putting it together and checking things over to find. One push rod
wasn't in the lifter correctly, and the valves needed some serious adjustment.
Had to grind off the exaust studs and extract the remains. Flaten the manifold and pipe
install new studs and exaust leak worries are done with. Looking down the plug holes is a nice new cross hatch finish so the cylinders were refinished for new rings that was refreshing to see. And the engine is sparkling clean inside.
Had to fix up and service the distributor and advance systems. Added some fuel to the carb bowl and cranked her over a bit and it fired right up and sounded good. Peeping through the oil fill hole the rockers were oiling nicely. Added the radiator to find a leaking water pump. o well what can ya expect? Next a rewire, Install the water pump when it gets here, Fix the tractrmeter Clean and overhaul the carb and gas tank lube it all good
then go to the hydralicsbison 114.jpg

Lee

/ Bison in a box
Well while waiting for the water pump i figured i should check out the steering box.
First visual inspection the oil appeared nice and clean......But come to find out it was 1/2 of
oil on 3 inches of water. Plus the upper rubber bushing in the column was worn making the
steering wheel slop side to side some,and up and down. The bearings and gears all survived
there water bath just needed a good cleaning and reassembly. I added a .005 shim on the upper sector shaft race to tighten it's bearings a bit. On the upper steering column
I decided to use a sealed bearing instead of a rubber bushing. 42mm OD 20mm ID 12mm thick
was a perfect fit and took all vertical and horizontal movement out of the steering wheel and
rotates smooth as silk. Glad I checked into this and have it finished so I can move on since the water pump came today.

Clean pretty gear oil nowBison 004.jpg

The new steering shaft bearing
Bison 003.jpg

Lee

/ Bison in a box
Well the Bison is coming together nicely and the box is empty:thumbsup:
The engine purrs like a kitten. I'm very pleased with how it runs and sounds.
I didn't clean and paint it much now wanting it to work to earn its keep.
Bison II 007.jpg
Got the loader installed now and all new hydro hoses ordered.
Bison II 004.jpg
Bison II 008.jpg
Found out I had no right brakes and upon inspection found the lining had come
off the webbing and ground it's seft to dust. So the brake shoes are getting relined now.
Gotta have good brakes. Cool brake system and everything else was in excellent shape.
So another 40.00 is worth it.
Bison II 003.jpg
It's all rewired now. Got a new seat and made its mount. And all my sheet metal, Hood,Dash,Fenders,
Tool Box, Head lights,seat mount ect. went to a buddy for powder coating. Nice not having to mess with
blasting and painting only to have rust in a few years. Now he wants the loader off to powdercoat it too.
I figure in a week or two I will have a darn nice tractor and be under the 2000.00 I was hopeing for.

Untill I have more
Lee

The one part I found I'm missing is the governer shield. If anyone has a extra they might sell let me know. Or I will just make one...Thanks

/ Bison in a box #5  
Neat. Coming together nicely....i need a buddy who powdercoats!

/ Bison in a box #6  
Who made the loader for that Bison? Kind of reminds me of the Blackhawk on my Beaver.

/ Bison in a box
It's a National loader. Got my new hydro lines for it today. Also got all my sheet metal back from
getting powdercoated. Shes gonna be purdy.:thumbsup:

Lee

/ Bison in a box #8  
Interesting on the loader.

They are connected it seems. "Black Hawk" is a name that appears on my loader and hoe. However the manuals have Johnson "Work Horse" on them. Bottom of each manual references the ARPS division of Chromalloy. Your loader was built by Johnson Hydraulics of MN who was purchased by ARPS.

So they are from the same company.

Found a brochure on eBay too. 1967 National Loader Model 16 for Satoh S650 Tractor Brochure MX5088 4Z8N2U | eBay

/ Bison in a box
Yep I found the sticker saying Johnson Hydraulics. What color is your blackhawk? Mines like international yellow. After getting everything back from powdercoating I decided to take the loader back off and send it to get coated to. So nice being clean and all finished. I'm going with red and black cylinders.
The Bison has come a long way since it got out of it's box.
Wedding and sunset 062.jpg

Lee

/ Bison in a box #10  
It's a kind of off white. At least it was. More white rattle can now than not. May repaint it one of these days when I have time to tear it down and fix its various woes.