To spend a grand on trans gears or?

/ To spend a grand on trans gears or? #1  

Ehanson

Silver Member
Tractor
S373-D
Well , I like things to be proper and for my little S373D it means getting 3 tranny gears to put 3rd gear back into it. It bothers me that 3rd gear cannot be used, but the tractor can still be used in 1st or 2nd. The big question is, do I save to get the gears or is that to much to spend on this tractor?
Any thoughts? Help?

/ To spend a grand on trans gears or? #2  
Is that $1000 to have the work done ?

How much of a problem is it not having 3rd?

What shape is the rest of the tractor in?

Does it have any sentimental value ?

/ To spend a grand on trans gears or? #3  
How many speeds does your tractor have? 3? or 3x something? 6? 9?
Ahh, is this the spec sheet, or at least similar?
http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/freakingstang/Kubota/Satoh S370D Beaver/c83fa4b5.jpg
So, you have a 3x2 transmission, and without third, you have gears 1,2,4, & 5 (missing 3 & 6)

How much of a pain is it not to have the top gears? On my Ford (3x3 transmission), I think I would survive without the top end as I rarely hit the high range of both gear selectors. And, while the speed ranges don't really overlap, to some extent one could skip the missing gears jumping up to the next range.

Of course, you may also not want a bunch of metal shards bouncing around the transmission, so you would want to make an effort to make sure the transmission and transmission oil is clean.

Anyway, it would all depend on how much you use the tractor. What for, and how big of a pain it is without the gear.

So, this is your tractor.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mitsubishi-satoh/276386-new-me-s373d-2.html#post3272796

It has a front end loader, 3 pt, and 4x4, which gives it some value. But, it is still a very small tractor. Does it do everything you want? Or would you otherwise be looking for a larger tractor?

I think I would carefully think about whether you really need the high end gear ranges, or you can skip the missing gears. And, whether the tractor really does everything you need. Give it a few months before you make the leap.

/ To spend a grand on trans gears or? #4  
4 questions to help make the call:
How much can you sell the tractor for without 3rd gear?
How much can you sell the tractor for with 3rd gear?
How long will you keep & use it without 3rd gear?
How much would it cost to replace the tractor with one of equal capability?

/ To spend a grand on trans gears or? #5  
   / To spend a grand on trans gears or? #6  
Or buy a parts tractor for the $1K or less.

That is unless 3rd gear is a weak spot with these tractors.

/ To spend a grand on trans gears or? #7  
A lot depends on how you use it.
Small property, snow removal general chores? you probably would not miss 3rd.
Down the road to pal's or a kin you could be frustrated.
Hey my MT180D has the same gear setup and I clocked it using my GPS and top speed is 7.5 kmh, so I never 'go down the road', if I do I put the radio on FM and take a nap. LOL.
BTW, on hills 3rdH is about useless anyway.

/ To spend a grand on trans gears or?
How many speeds does your tractor have? 3? or 3x something? 6? 9?
Ahh, is this the spec sheet, or at least similar?
http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/freakingstang/Kubota/Satoh S370D Beaver/c83fa4b5.jpg
So, you have a 3x2 transmission, and without third, you have gears 1,2,4, & 5 (missing 3 & 6)

How much of a pain is it not to have the top gears? On my Ford (3x3 transmission), I think I would survive without the top end as I rarely hit the high range of both gear selectors. And, while the speed ranges don't really overlap, to some extent one could skip the missing gears jumping up to the next range.

Of course, you may also not want a bunch of metal shards bouncing around the transmission, so you would want to make an effort to make sure the transmission and transmission oil is clean.

Anyway, it would all depend on how much you use the tractor. What for, and how big of a pain it is without the gear.

So, this is your tractor.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mitsubishi-satoh/276386-new-me-s373d-2.html#post3272796

It has a front end loader, 3 pt, and 4x4, which gives it some value. But, it is still a very small tractor. Does it do everything you want? Or would you otherwise be looking for a larger tractor?

I think I would carefully think about whether you really need the high end gear ranges, or you can skip the missing gears. And, whether the tractor really does everything you need. Give it a few months before you make the leap.

All these responses are great thoughts. Thank you, Yes this tractor will do any thing I need. I have .36 acre, just bought it to snow plow the driveway. I think I will give it some time, Thanks again.