Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    2013 Kioti dk40 hst, wright stander zero turn

Default Advice on a 18hp diesel mitsibishi

Their is on for sale an hour or so from my house with a rear blade, 900 hours, 3speed, hi/lo trans. 2wheel drive. It's an 18 horsepower diesel. I don't know the model number yet but, would like some info on Mitsibishi, parts, reliability, etc. do they still sell them in the states. Thanks

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

Default Re: Advice on a 18hp diesel mitsibishi

Japanese Tractor Repair Dixon, IL sells parts. He is in Dixon IL. I don't think new ones are sold in the US under any name but they have been sold under Mitsubishi, Satoh, International, Cub Cadet and maybe others. I have a couple and they are as good as anything else. Parts are not much different than other brands when it comes to price and scarcity. My Satoh was bought new by my dad back in late 70s. Is the one you are looking at a 2, 3, or 4 cylinder?

Tractor
    Iseki TX1300F/TX1500/ TX2160F/TS2220F/ Satoh S373D

They're good tractors, but I'd wait until a 4wd one came along. 4wd does not typically command a major price premium for these tractors but it is a major advantage.
    One nice thing about being average is you're not alone.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

Yep, both of mine are 4wd and I really like that.

Tractor

Like any rear-wheel drive only vehicle it can be disappointing and almost silly at times trying to operate them on the ice and snow. Even 4wd can be dicey. Sometimes I wish they had locking front differentials too. Of course there are other options like chains and adding weight, but I'd start off with 4wd at a minimum unless you are pretty certain you won't be operating in any snow or on a lot of slopes.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2013 Kioti dk40 hst, wright stander zero turn

Thanks, it's a mt 160, 3cylinder. I only want it to cut grass at another location so I don't have to borrow a trailer to haul my ck35. But your right a out the 4 wheel drive.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    International Harvester 284, Yanmar 1401D, Yanmar 240, and others...many others...

Do you have a mower already for it? The MT160 uses the same engine as the Beaver III and some other similar machines. It's just under 14 PTO horsepower. I have a 42" brush cutter that I use on my 14 PTO horsepower Yanmar. It works fine, but I wouldn't want anything much bigger. If all you plan on doing is mowing grass, and not rough cutting fields, you will take less time using a high horsepower garden tractor with a belly mower. In spite of my stupidly large collection of impact diesel machines, I still use a gasoline ride mower for those tasks. It just works better, and is quicker.

Tractor

I have a 2005 Craftsman LT1000 mower and must admit that it is a dream to cut grass with. Lots of power, smooth, fast (comparatively to the diesel tractors). Unfortunately it's a "one-trick pony" and too limited beyond that for what I'd like to do. The tractors shine for pulling capability, snow management, and 3-point work among other things the mower has little or no capacity to do.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    International Harvester 284, Yanmar 1401D, Yanmar 240, and others...many others...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikeurtractor View Post
    ...Unfortunately it's a "one-trick pony" and too limited beyond that for what I'd like to do. The tractors shine for pulling capability, snow management, and 3-point work among other things the mower has little or no capacity to do.
    I agree with you fully, and the versatility of the compact tractors are their greatest appeal. I was just curious about Illini22's equipment status since he said he only wants it for mowing. The gasoline mower will burn more fuel, but $1000 worth of fuel will cut a LOT of grass, even through the more thirsty machines.

Tractor

Yes, if that's all one needs to do then a riding mower or zero-turn is clearly the more effective option.

On a similar note, I just bought a 1985 Mercedes 300D turbo diesel. From purely a financial and practical standpoint, the car is a senseless buy. I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu and it will literally run circles around the Benz in performance, handling, economy, and I'm almost willing to bet longevity as time may tell. But, like the tractors, there are uniquenesses to it that I find appealing (apparently I must like to wrench on things too because it seems like that's all I do with this stuff). A lot of factors come into play when making a purchase. Certainly economy, practicality, and return on investment are sensible issues to consider. But there are the "because I want to", "because I can", and nostalgia factors that are understandable too.

Sorry for the tangent, good luck with your decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast