Reverse Tine Tiller on my BUCK??

/ Reverse Tine Tiller on my BUCK?? #1  

Dsavage

Tractor
Satoh S470D Buck
Hey guys,
Whats the worst that would happen if I put a reverse tine tiller on my Buck. I BELIEVE my buck spins clock wise..
This tiller I'd like to buy is counter clockwise.. But you can spin it by hand clockwise.
SO, the tines are working against the tractor.. big deal? I can see it an issue if you were to hit roots, rocks and
things like that, but, I have clay.. 100% junk clay..

Something I'm missing?
Need a quick response before I buy something I can't use. lol

/ Reverse Tine Tiller on my BUCK?? #2  
There are two types of tillers. The conventional tiller spins the tines with the direction of travel. A reverse-rotation tiller spins the tines in the opposite direction, pulling against the tractor as it drives forward.

Some tractors, the early Beavers and Kubota B6000, for instance, have a PTO shaft that rotates counter-clockwise. However, the tillers are still normal forward rotation at the tines.

Remember that if you're looking at the tiller's PTO input, normal PTO rotation means it would be spinning counterclockwise as you look at the input shaft. Running a tiller in the opposite direction from the intended direction is bad news, and will break things. Probably first the chain tensioner, if not a gear driven model, then who knows what else.

A tiller with reverse rotating tines should be fine if it is designed to operate in that fashion. Rocks, roots, etc will probably be rougher than with a forward rotation unit, but it will probably break ground better.

/ Reverse Tine Tiller on my BUCK??
Hey 284.. Hmmmm all good info.
This unit is designed to rotate WITH the tractor, but with a PTO spinning counter clockwise.
Mine spins clockwise, so it would rotate the tiller AGAINST the tractor. NOT what it was designed for...
But, MAN its wayyyy cheaper then anything I've found, and if it would just work.! even in GOOD soil you don't think so.?
you think it would break.?
I guess I was thinking of the things that wouldn't like running in reverse direction. Its chain drive so, the only thing I could think of
would be the chain tensioner.

Anyone ever "reversed" the direction of a counterclockwise tiller.? Am I getting too deep now.? lol

/ Reverse Tine Tiller on my BUCK?? #4  
The tines would be trying to cut backward, so against their intended direction. The chain tensioner would be seeing the full load trying to pull it into alignment, and not be just a tensioner anymore. It MAY be that you could remove the tines and reverse them, so they would be cutting the proper direction at least. The chain tensioner could perhaps be adapted, too, probably by re-mounting it on the opposite side.

Some have been able to convert their tillers or mowers by changing the position of a gear in the right-angle gear box. That sometimes requires machining a keeper ring into the shaft, or other means of relocating the gear, but it may be reasonably possible.

If you decide to experiment, make sure to take pictures and share your results!

/ Reverse Tine Tiller on my BUCK?? #5  
There was a recent thread on this subject. Do a search to find out more info.

/ Reverse Tine Tiller on my BUCK?? #6  
Powerpace, I haven't seen any recent threads about this subject, and I have done a search, both before Dsavage asked the question and after you posted. Instead of just telling us to do a search, could you give a little more guidance as to what terms to use in the search engine, or just a link to the thread?

/ Reverse Tine Tiller on my BUCK?? #7  
Powerpace, I haven't seen any recent threads about this subject, and I have done a search, both before Dsavage asked the question and after you posted. Instead of just telling us to do a search, could you give a little more guidance as to what terms to use in the search engine, or just a link to the thread?

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/277647-using-forward-tiller-reverse.html

Also check for similar threads at the bottom of this page.

Hope it helps!!!

/ Reverse Tine Tiller on my BUCK?? #8  
:confused:

None of the links that show up for me really have anything to do with what Dsavage is asking about; the one about asking to use the tiller while driving backward certainly doesn't apply here. Maybe the links at the bottom of your screen are different than mine.

/ Reverse Tine Tiller on my BUCK?? #9  
Buy a conventional tiller with the correct rotation. It would serve your needs better in the long run. My Opinion.

Power requirements are noticable with the reverse tiller configuration. Makes a big difference in fuel use.

The thread links at the page bottom can change depending on the information priority and space.