Beaver III

/ Beaver III #1  

Chef

Hey all you tractor dudes! This is chef, and I know didley 'bout tractors, but I do know that I now have to start getting wood ready for winter and someday I'd like to stop pushing a mower. I'm working my way through my first summer and heading into my first winter on my new spread of 18 acres.
Looking @ a tractor that says both Satoh & Mitsubishi on it. 16.5 HP/777cc/373D/2700RPM. Fatguy is asking $2300 firm. Says there's a "Spring" missing on the PTO, but that's not a big deal in his words. He also says it can pull a bushhog. He happens to sell bushhogs. Help Tractor Dudes! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Beaver III #2  
It would be nice to know if you intend to mow all 18 acres.....or bushhog it all. What size hog? Any future uses for it.........like a loader, tiller, etc? What kind of terrain?

Welcome to TBN

Jerry

/ Beaver III
Excellent questions! When all is done about 5 acres will be mowed. uneven terrain. I'm looking at the smallest hog they make...42" (?).
I would like to attach a loader down the road. right now the tractor is being sold as is no implements/attachments etc.

/ Beaver III #4  
I've got a Mitsu D1800 with 18 hp, 2 cyl., 958 cc. motor. If I was you I'd not look for a bush hog much over 4'. I'm running a 5' towed model, and have to get the blades spinning real good before putting the tractor in motion. Mitsu and Satoh merged, I believe in late '76. I'd have that pto problem looked at before I bought, I don't know what spring he's talking about. I would not put an fel on mine. No frame! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Beaver III
Good stuff! And I'm showing my ignorance, but FEL is front End Loader yes?

Chef

/ Beaver III #6  
A good rule of thumb Chef is that if something is "no big deal" then they would have already done it. Have him fix the "no big deal" and then talk about the tractor. I wouldn’t run anything bigger than the 42” brush hog on that size tractor. FEL is Front End Loader.

/ Beaver III #7  
The spring that's likely missing from the pto shaft is a big deal! It will require significant disassembly of the transmission to replace. And it is important for the proper operation of the overrunning clutch ( an internal device needed for safe operation of that bush hog.) Call 800-609-5110 for further info about the repair. Otherwise the price is reasonable for that tractor in decent shape. Satoh and Mitsubishi merged in 1980. In 1981 we dealers received a box of decals and a request that we relabel all Satoh tractors in stock as Satoh/Mitsubishi. This should explain the two names on this tractor. Bill - Valley Power Products.

/ Beaver III #8  
Yes fel = (f)ront (e)nd (l)oader. You might be able to use a johnny bucket which is kind of a miniature model designed for lawn tractors. Right now though you need to get started on the fire wood. My wife's arthritis told her that winter will be early and cold. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Beaver III
You Tractor-Dudes have been awesome! I've got a much better handle on this now. I will not touch this tractor without that PTO operating and spinning in the right direction. FEL would be nice, but not neccessary either. It seems like a lot of power for a compact tractor which is exactly what I'm looking for. Explanation of the Satoh/Mitsubishi thing helped as well. Bill, if I do go for this I'll be sure to contact you.

How does the ISEKI compare with the Satoh?
Spotted a 21HP ISEKI 4x4 diesel great shape $2800... seems more trustworthy than Fatguy as well. Thoughts?

Oh yea, pokeweed fried up in a little bacon grease with juniper will do that arthritis some good... take it from-Chef

Thanks guys!!!

/ Beaver III #10  
Every Japanese rice farmer is a member of a co-op. He leases the tractor from them. They sometimes put their private brand on them. I don't know which names belong to the private brands, but I know some of the manufacturers. Mitsu, Satoh, Shibara, Yanmar, Kubota, etc. When the lease is up, he gets a new tractor, and the old ones are sold off. That's how the gray market got started, nowadays who knows who's selling used tractors, or where they live. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif What it boils down to is you make your choice and pay your money. Good luck!
Oh yeah, we've got a huge plot of poke back of the house, but she's in a pain management clinic right now, the cripplin' is slowed but still marches on. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif