MT210D not charging or turning off

/ MT210D not charging or turning off #1  

hoozie

Tractor
MT210D
I just got this tractor running again. Before I took it apart, it would turn off with the key just fine. Now that it's back together, when I turn the key off, I then have to go push the fuel solenoid in to get it to turn off. Any ideas? The old ignition switch had been screwdriver'd, so it's been replaced already. The old pressure switch and temperature switch were removed by the previous owner and replaced with actual gauges, but it turned off with the key before I took it all apart, so I don't think that is affecting it. *FIXED* Found a broken wire (Red - 12v) to the timing controller.

Also when I first got it, it wasn't charging. Turns out the the diodes/wires in the alternator burned up. Replaced all of that, and now it 'charges' at 16.5v. A Wells VR728 (for a Datsun 1200) voltage regulator sure looks like it's the same thing and will plug in place of my (tested bad) regulator. Has anyone else verified this?

One last thing: It has a Schwarts brand FEL on it. Should I be able to lower the bucket and pick up the front of the tractor?

Last edited:
   / MT210D not charging or turning off #2  
As to the Schwarts, yes. I have one on my 180D, nice FEL very well built. If U have same controls as mine the Pressure valve is on the controls, screw in to tighten the spring and you'll be fine.(a capped device on the contral body)

The switch, mine used a screwdriver for years as the key was broken in place.(that switch is badly located) Try WD40 squirted into key slot. That will free up caked lubes and clean the contacts. Worked 4 me.

/ MT210D not charging or turning off
As to the Schwarts, yes. I have one on my 180D, nice FEL very well built. If U have same controls as mine the Pressure valve is on the controls, screw in to tighten the spring and you'll be fine.(a capped device on the contral body)

It's a Schwartz 1200. Here's a picture of the bottom/inside of my controls. Is this screw/spring combo under the capped thing on the right? Main reason I'm concerned is because the previous owner ran the hydraulics without a filter for who knows how long. I'm not entirely sure what kind of shape the hydraulic pump is in.

Found another broken wire going to the regulator. Fixed it, and it's still overcharging. I'm just going to throw a Denso Mini alternator at it.

/ MT210D not charging or turning off #5  
A 1972 ford Courier alternator is a good replacement for most of the Mitsubishi models. Should bolt up with little or no modification and uses the same wire plug. Believe it puts out about 35 amps. I got mine at O'Reilly's for about $50+ .....it was a Mitsubishi brand alt too.

I did read about that on here. I already replaced the diodes in the alternator and had it tested, and it's fine. I had the regulator tested at the same time and they said it was bad. By the time I get a new regulator, I'm close to or at what the Denso alternator cost, and I'm not entirely convinced I still don't have issues elsewhere. With the new alt I can even keep the idiot light on the dash :)