s 373d 4wd not engaging

/ s 373d 4wd not engaging #1  

steveg2008

Tractor
mitsubishi s373d, wheel horse 310-8
howdy, new to the forum and eager to learn about my newly inquired s373d. the fella i bought it from said all was well but its a little rough cosmetically. got it for wat i think is a good deal, even after i got it home and tested the four wheel drive out on a hill and it did not work. his property was flat so there was no way to test how ever the shaft was spinning so i assumed it was working. has neone had or herd of this problem, is it common, or an easy fix. any and all information will be helpful and appriciated. thank you again.

/ s 373d 4wd not engaging #2  
Are you sure the 4 wheel drive lever is engaged?

The 4 wheel drive engagement lever has a small metal finger that slides the drive gear into place. If applied too roughly in the face of "stickiness," that finger can bend, preventing proper actuation of the 4 wheel drive gear.

The front driveshaft will spin while driving unless something is broken in the front axle. An easy way to check the 4 wheel drive is to put the tractor in low gear low range, turn sharply, then apply the turning brake in the same direction. With 4 wheel drive engaged, the front will visibly pull the tractor around.

Good luck, report back once you check it out.

/ s 373d 4wd not engaging #3  
Two bolts will take the 4wd shifter off. Look inside and you will see a shaft with a horizontal hole in it. There is supposed to be a small roll pin through that hole. If you have a small magnet on a stick you can probably fish the pin out. Put the roll pin back in the hole in the shaft and you will see how the internal part of that shifter moves the shaft in and out of 4wd. This has happened to me a couple times. This is a dry cavity so don't worry about oil pouring out. Welcome to TBN and repay us by letting us know how it comes out!!

/ s 373d 4wd not engaging #4  
Just did this with my 1601, held the roll pin with needle nose vise grip gave it a whack with a punch... fished pin out with magnet several times... then in done and running. Good luck.

/ s 373d 4wd not engaging
hey fellers not sure if im doen this right, but thanks a lot kinda jumped the gun and asked questions before i looked into it was just anxious since i just got it today. and thats wat is wat jus the lever was disconnected from the tit on the shaft to engage it. Simple fix, thank the holy one ha. thought it was ganna be allllot worse. now i just need to find a front end loader thats not 3 times more than i paid for the tractor.....but thanks again guys and im sure ill need assistance in the future. happy gearen to ya!

/ s 373d 4wd not engaging #6  
Unless you luck out and find a one-of-a-kind deal locally, the most affordable loaders I am aware of are built by a company called Coldwater, who are also site sponsors. Coldwatertractors.com

They are quite helpful, and their loaders are economically priced. They apparently ship for very reasonable prices, as well, and are known for working hard to find other local customers (sometimes dealers who buy a full truckload) to reduce individual shipping prices. They also make small backhoes, and I would imagine they could do an attractive deal on a combination order.

Glad you got the first difficulty of the 4 wheel drive resolved!

Glad you got the first difficulty of the 4 wheel drive resolved![/QUOTE]

ahhhhh. thought that fixed it becuase it was off that little tit. now it still will not engage it actuates the shaft however, after looking where the drive shaft goes into a "transfer case" i see it isnt even connected to the other splinded shaft. ne idea wat short of a coupler i need ive yet to come up with nething. search after search brings me to nothing! very angry at fella who lied.

wow, checked into them there loaders and u were rite they are affordable only thing is they are way out your way but still got a quote of 500 to ship all the way here and that still puts it less than any brand ive found yet. u have been a huge help thank you and everyone else who as replied and helped out this clueless young man haha. happy 4th everyone

/ s 373d 4wd not engaging #9  
Does the lever just flop back and forth? All of mine use a roll pin to connect the shift lever onto the rotating shaft that enters the side of the transmission. Is this what you mean?

I am not where I can look at my tractor, but this diagram http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merc...Store_Code=HTE&Category_Code=YM15104WDSHIFTER shows a similar Yanmar machine, and has the best diagram I've found. These tractors are all more or less the same among the different manufacturers, so this should give you a decent idea what you're looking at.

Part number 6 turns and engages the slotted piece, number 10. When you pull the lever back, the finger pushes part 10 forward on a shaft. Part number 8 is pinned onto part 10, so slides forward with it. Part 8 has a tab that sticks out and engages the drive gear for the front axle, part number 22. The three teeth on 22 engage with part 21 and drives the front axle.

My tractor had part 10 get rusted, since it is open to the bottom. When trying to force it into 4 wheel drive, the finger on part 6 bent. I had to disassemble that assembly, straighten the finger, and re-weld it. Part 6 and 10 are exposed underneath the open housing of the tractor. Part 8 is inside the transmission casting, sealed by an O-ring. Part 21 and 22 are inside the casting as well. So, parts 8, 21, and 22 get lubricated by the transmission fluid, while 6 and 10 are exposed to the elements and corrosion.

Other designs are similar. Here is another Yanmar, this time with the lever on the right hand side of the case: Yanmar Tractor Parts: SHIFT_LEVERS

Part 32 sticks out the side of the case, and directly engages with part 27, the shifter fork. Pulling back on the lever moves the shifter fork forward, and engages the front axle. On this model, except for where part 32 sticks out of the case, the parts are all inside the transmission and thus lubricated by the transmission fluid.

I think your machine is more like the first example, though on the other side.

Take some pictures of everything you can, and we will do our best to help you.

Last edited:
howdy fellas sorry for the delay with my response to the 4wd not engaging. turns out for some reason or another the upper half of the drive shaft was missing the u joint and yokes? beats me but found one from valley power down in roanoke va. he was a very good guy to deal with. got it all hooked up and she works like a charm. now im looking into loaders went to cold water tractors and it is a very reasonable price for a brandy new loader delivered from clear across the country. however just found a black hawk loader about 70 miles away for a 1/3 of the price of new. only problem is its on a s370. are these tractors the same frame a s373d and an s370d? they seem to be by appearence but im not certain and ofcourse i cant find ne thing online... once i get to know my tractor a bit more and learn about it im going to post a youtube video for ppl who have an s373d because they are hard to inquire about. thanks again fellas.