Tractor
    kubota 5000

Default Mitsubishi tiller question

Hey Folks, Yeah that goofy look is exactly where I'm at. We bought a used Mitsubishi tiller, P1530JB Justmatic 5', which works fine but I thought I'd get a manual just for information. HA! great idea but I can't find anything about Mitsubishi tillers. I've tried different ways of searching hoping maybe I'd come up with something. All I found was a couple of references to used tillers for sale. Do these things really exist? Were they sold new in the USA? I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe

Default Re: Mitsubishi tiller question

The Mitsubishi tillers are "rice paddy tillers" made for the Asian market and the ones you see here in the U.S. generally got here with a shipment of "grey market" tractors ( tractors made/originally sold in Japan). You could contact Len Scheaffer in Dixon IL. 815-284-3226, on an outside chance he might have or could get a manual but I think ever finding one will be really hard.

I have owned several rice tillers from several different manufacturers and they are fine tillers. The main thing you need to be aware of is they generally have a relatively small tine shank with one attachment bolt. If you are using it to break virgin hard pack clay or rocky soil be careful. The tines can and will break. I will generally make shallow passes on anything I think may be pretty compacted and after I get to the final depth I want and the soil is confirmed loose then let 'er rip. Two passes at that point will generally have it looking like a lettuce bed. If you ever need tines you can purchase them here Yanmar Tractor Parts: Tiller Tines they are Yanmar tines but I think they would work on that tiller since I have used "Yanmar" tines as replacements on my Mitsubishi tiller before.
    Darryl

Tractor
    kubota 5000

Thanks Darryl, I'll give that guy a call. I figured they must be grey market since there is a modified(wider) 3 pt hitch. Glad to know there is a neighbor just to the north of me who has some answers. You know what our southern Illinois clay is like, so good advice on taking the first couple of passes easy. Some of my ground here hasn't been broken in the 35 years I've owned it so it's gonna be tough stuff.

Steve

Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe

I work at Vienna Correctional Center so I am down in your neck of the woods almost every day. I have to ask how you came across that tiller? I had gotten a similar one for a coworker that lives in Anna and he eventually sold it to another coworker that has to live pretty darn close to you. I can't help but wonder if that is the same tiller?
    Darryl

Tractor
    kubota 5000

We found it through an ad in the local paper. It was down around Elco but I don't remember the guys name. There can't be many of these things around. While I have a Buncombe address I'm really closer to Lick Creek in Union County. Small world! A piece of equipment made on the other side of the world connects people here.