Glow plug indicator

/ Glow plug indicator #1  

terry skinner

Tractor
mitsubishi/180
The little resistor coil in the dash of my Mitsubishi 180D has burned out. Looks like rust is the cause. I cannot find a local tractor dealer that has anything close. Are there any suggestions as to where I can locate this part?? Or does anyone have an idea what the resistance is?? So that I can replace it with something else. I am afraid to hook it up direct . Don't want to overload the glow plugs.
Thanks from out here in the Pacific NW...............Terry

Part #
MM409515
NGK 29 A
DH-139V-29

/ Glow plug indicator #3  
There is a guy in West Linn oregon who parts out tractors you can find him on the portland craigslist.
I also like the tractor store in eugene oregon.
Good luck

/ Glow plug indicator
Thanks. I will give them a call on Monday. In the mean time I was able to pry off a little bit of the resistor coil and attach it to a new bolt. She started up just like that (snapping finger) and ran just fine. Still want to replace with a new one. Kinda worried about over loading the glow plugs. Those little puppies an't cheap!! Thanks again...........Terry

/ Glow plug indicator
There is a guy in West Linn oregon who parts out tractors you can find him on the portland craigslist.
I also like the tractor store in eugene oregon.
Good luck

I found the guy in West Linn and will call him Monday too. Thanks guys. Hope I can do a payback.............Terry

/ Glow plug indicator #6  
A piece of "Nichrome" wire, but of the correct gauge. Nichrome is what you would find in a toaster or small oven, but you need the proper gauge.
Funny thing happen today, I had a piece of stainless wire short against my stinger and ground welding today and it lit up nice and orange with about 80 amps going through it. I wonder if something like that might work?

/ Glow plug indicator #7  
Nichrome wire is indeed the proper stuff to use.
The reason being that it will not rust/corrode and keep its resistance value.
Gauge is not that important as is the proper total resistance.
If you can get a reading (ohms) of the old coil, replacing with a home made would be easy enough to do. A short length of nichrome giving same value will do the trick.
A caution is that you can not solder ends (solder will melt) so only mechanical connections will do.

/ Glow plug indicator #8  
I like the nichrome wire advice. I did once find/buy an OEM Mitsubishi G.P. indicator off Ebay but they are rare. My next go around, I bought one of the Kubota compact tractor indicators ( they are listed as being for all B, L models and even some M's up to about 60HP) and swap the resistor wire coil to the Mit's indicator housing. The Kubota's "lamps" are usually available for $15+/- including SH.

/ Glow plug indicator #9  
Odd mine has yet to fail after 30+ years of abuse. I man use.

/ Glow plug indicator #10  
Odd mine has yet to fail after 30+ years of abuse. I man use.

Nothing odd....that's just good Ol' Mitsubishi service!! I have only replaced mine because my key will stick in "heat" position and my sons have left it on for ????......they can/WILL eventually burn out if left on repeatedly for super long periods of time.