Help with Site Use, and Starter for MT 372D.

/ Help with Site Use, and Starter for MT 372D. #1  

rzacc

Greetings all. I am fairly new to this site, and would like to know how to 'Subscribe' to a specific topic or list. I dont see any instructions on the site. Thanks. Also, I have an old new-to-me MT372D that will not start. i believe the starter is dragging. What has been your experience with having them rebuilt, and is there a source for new ones? I found someon the net for almost $300! Does anyone have any other options?
When I did get the tractor running, it seemed to run fine. It blows a lot of black smoke while trying to start, but now it's not starting at all...just cranking. But it seems to be turning overslowly and the starter sounds rough.
Thanks in advance.
Ron

/ Help with Site Use, and Starter for MT 372D. #2  
I have a 470 Satoh Buck and a Mitsubishi 1450, which is a grey 373. Have had good luck at having the starters rebuilt at a local shop, usually around $85-90 bucks. The starter might be the same one if not similar. Find a local starter/alternator shop.

/ Help with Site Use, and Starter for MT 372D. #3  
Take the starter off and bench test it, does it spin fine there? If not needs a rebuld or replace. I see rebuild kits on ebay.

I think as soon as you post to a thread it suscribes, but dont know, dont spend a lot of time over here.

/ Help with Site Use, and Starter for MT 372D. #4  
In the dark gray bar near the top of the thread there is a label called "thread tools". You can subscribe to the thread you are in using that.

/ Help with Site Use, and Starter for MT 372D.
Thanks for the reply. I subscribed....we'll see how that works.
R

/ Help with Site Use, and Starter for MT 372D.
Great, Thanks!

/ Help with Site Use, and Starter for MT 372D. #7  
Greetings all. I am fairly new to this site, and would like to know how to 'Subscribe' to a specific topic or list. I dont see any instructions on the site. Thanks. Also, I have an old new-to-me MT372D that will not start. i believe the starter is dragging. What has been your experience with having them rebuilt, and is there a source for new ones? I found someon the net for almost $300! Does anyone have any other options?
When I did get the tractor running, it seemed to run fine. It blows a lot of black smoke while trying to start, but now it's not starting at all...just cranking. But it seems to be turning overslowly and the starter sounds rough.
Thanks in advance.
Ron

I believe someone on this site had quite a list of parts for the Beaver that crossed with some of the Mitsubishi truck or auto parts. I know I found a starter solenoid that was a close enough match to fit the Beaver starter. If I remember correctly, I had to rotate it one bolt hole to line things up. It was a tight fit, but it worked great. There is a good chance that there is a Mitsubishi starter from a diesel truck or auto engine from some model that will bolt up or possibly require using the drive end cap from the original starter to match things up.

/ Help with Site Use, and Starter for MT 372D. #8  
I just replaced the starter on my 2 cylinder Beaver with one from a car. The listing is for 78-81 Dodge Colt, with a 2.6 & an Automatic trans. some of the part numbers that came up, were 16514, 16524, 16500. I've heard of some people switching the nose of their old starter onto the new one, but I didn't want to re use mine, because the bushing was shot. The new starter has threaded holes.. so I drilled the threads out, and ground the casing beside the holes a little, so there was room for the nut to turn. My starter cost $56 at auto zone.

/ Help with Site Use, and Starter for MT 372D. #9  
I just replaced the starter on my 2 cylinder Beaver with one from a car. The listing is for 78-81 Dodge Colt, with a 2.6 & an Automatic trans.

I know this is an old thread but did you need to change out the drive gear from the 8 tooth Dodge colt drive gear to a 9 tooth drive gear?

Thanks for the help.