Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Satoh Beaver

Default Shop Manuals, worth the money or not ?

Inspired by Kernopelli's scan in the post about the timing marks, I got thinking about getting the shop manual for my Beaver ... until I saw the price they go for on ebay and other supplier that offer reprints! is it really worth paying 10-15% of what I paid for the tractor for the parts and service manual??? I am seasoned in mechanics and there is not much I haven't taken apart and put back together over the years. I just like how some important details like tolerances and torque specs are usually listed in these manual. Any feedback from you guys that forked out the $80+ per manual your be appreciated.

Al

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: Shop Manuals, worth the money or not ?

If you can get your info online I would not bother. I would of not bought a parts book if I'd known about MIE online parts.
    Murph ------------

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

Well I have a MT180D and all the manuals and admit that they sure have helped at times. Mine are factory originals.
    Torque specs are basically standard to the size and grade of fastener and not specific to the tractor.
    Since new parts are hard to find, part #s are of little use as you rely on re cycle yards for sourcing.
    Most of the info I need to service is actually in the owners manual and auto parts generally match filters etc.

Tractor
    Kioti DS3510

Glad I have one for my Kioti, and have one for just about any vehicle I own. I do all my own work, so worth it for the little details like you said.

Tractor
    Satoh Beaver

So i see its 50-50, Piloon brings up a good point that the parts manual is pretty much useless now days. I too usually track down service manuals for everything i own. thanks for the feedback guys
    Last edited by CanadianBeaverS370; 05-01-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Tractor
    Which one?

I'm probably going to buy one of the reprints soon. I'm rather irritated that the company selling them doesn't offer a PDF version, I'd rather have that and print whatever pages I need when I need them. I find there's always stuff I don't know about that while it may be common sense to others, for me it's unknown.
    I like to play in the dirt....
    Satoh Beaver w/Blackhawk loader & hoe.
    JD855 w/stuff.

Tractor
    Satoh Beaver

Techwrtr2 , im with you on the PDF version. Im in Canada so think of it this way. not only am I getting raped on the price of the reprint but I get dinged on shipping and duties... At lease woods e-mailed me a copy of the service/owners manual for my mower free of charge. I just went on the website, filled the form and in 10 minutes it was in my inbox! now that's what I call good service.

Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe

I am surprised to see that Beaver service manuals are about $50U.S.. Not "cheap" compared to most of the other Mitsubishi models. I consider myself a pretty capable mechanic and yet, as many times as I've referred to mine I can't imagine not having one. A lot of my referral has been to "confirm" what I suspect/ thought but I still consider it a must have. I'll admit it's a lot easier to buy a $15-$20 manual that covered every model I've owned than $80 for a manual I'm not sure I "have to have".
    Darryl

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.

Having the manual beats guessing and/or relying on memory. Having the manual gives you everything there at your finger tips. I shudder to think what a tractor mechanic would charge nowadays - hourly rate, probably around $100 an hour! There you have the manual more than paid for.
    2007 Jinma 554 tractor, FEL, 8ft Rear Blade, 73" Snowblower, 2002 3500 Dodge Ram 4x4, 1986 F250 4x4 SC 6.9 turboed diesel.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA

I agree that the manual has come in very handy, for specific details. Sometimes the translations a kinda funny and occasionally hard to figure out, but overall pretty useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast