front diff

/ front diff #1  

jongol7

Tractor
satoh bull
he there i have been reading and learning from these forums for a long time. Now i need the help. I have recently acquired a satoh bull. the tractor starts and runs well. However a few days ago i was trying to scrape out some pig pens (i am a small time pig farmer, yum) and noticed the 4x4 wasnt working. i picked up the front end with loader and with back wheels spinning fronts were not. Then to make things worse as i was pulling into shop i lost hydraulics. i think i got that figured out, a plugged line. i have removed front drive shaft but cannot get the front diff housing off. when jacked up i could turn the input shaft and one tire would barely turn, i could spin tire and hear clicking inside like splines slipping. But again i cant seem to get the housing off. Do i need to remove the wheel assemblies and shafts etc to het the housing off? any info or being pointed in right direction would be grateful.

thanks

/ front diff #2  
Not particularly familiar with your Satoh but Valley Power has a front axle parts diagram that may help you figure it out. Valley Power . It does appear that the side shafts have to be removed to pull the diff apart

/ front diff #3  
FIRST TEST......Jack-up one front wheel and put tractor in 4x4 and try to spin that wheel .....if it spins you have a problem !
Second test.......check if propshaft is spinning .
Third test ......check if 4x4 realy engages .

/ front diff
apologize its taken so long to reply work schedule gets me, i took apart the front end and found a couple of things not sure exactly what but... first someone before had removed shaft on left side so that explains that wheel not turning, second very low on fluid, i didnt find any metal chunks in housing so someone pulled out broken parts and threw back together with out fixing. i have a few pics if you can tell me exactly what i am looking at and if there is anything missing would be great. 20140629_101532.jpg

/ front diff
before i took it apart i did the jack up and spin. it spun the shaft but i could stop it. I cant exactly tell by pic but is there supposed to be a spacer between axle housing and "pumpkin" ? and also info on where i may be able to find the missing shaft. all teeth look good a couple broke on large gear bearings look good spins fairly smooth prob wouldnt hurt to spin in moving oil or cleaner to get little shavings but....

thanks

/ front diff #7  
Valley Power's diagram looks like a spacer between the pumpkin and housing but since the part numbers don't have a description it's hard to tell if its a seal or spacer. Bill at Valley Power can probably provide you with exact information. For the shaft, I would start checking with tractor salvage yards....Google Tractor salvage and find all you can and start making phone calls. The middle pic in your last post looks like the pinion has been contacting the differential case, those concentric gouges look like they are from wear, not machined....I think you've got an issue there. Looks like the ring/pinion mesh is not right...if those are wear gouges on the diff case, that could be the reason for contact there and why the ring gear teeth are only chipped on the "inside" edge. I also can't imagine you'd do yourself any favors by not replacing the ring gear as well...

I know this sounds like a potential to spend a nice little wad of cash but a 2 WD compact loader tractor is not nearly as functional as 4WD and the tractor value between 2WD and 4WD is considerable.... consider it a good investment if you have reservations on spending a little to get it fixed.

/ front diff
i know the value of 4wd to 2wd, hence the reason trying to fix. i will give bill at valley a call and see what we can come up with. appreciate the input Have a happy 4th