S470D Buck Clutch Problem

/ S470D Buck Clutch Problem #1  

Bubblehead651

Tractor
Mitsubishi Satoh S470D
Working on Son-in-Law's Satoh Buck Ser S470D-02861. Looked at different forums on topic, but one more check before I undertake the unpleasant task of splitting the tractor. The clutch pedal moves freely, but very little/no resistance. Clutch is engaged. Grinds when try to put it in gear with engine running. Can shift gears with engine off. Tried pulling and braking but didn't want to put it under too much stress and break something would regret later. No repair manual. Looks like throw-out bearing gone and need to split? See several have split their tractor, any instructions out there on how to do it? Thanks for the input/help.

/ S470D Buck Clutch Problem
Probably, how can I tell? Any inspection plates? Thanks

/ S470D Buck Clutch Problem #4  
Capricious probably got it right. Was it working properly before? Moisture can cause this problem. Never happened on mine and it sits in an open barn. Lots of similar stories on this on TBN.

Thanks for the input. Guess I'll go ahead and split it. Looks like will remove engine to get to clutch?

/ S470D Buck Clutch Problem #7  
   / S470D Buck Clutch Problem #8  
You won't need to remove the engine if you split. There are lots of threads here on what to do when splitting the tractor.

Thanks Oliver: Guess I'll buy a service manual and do it by the book.

/ S470D Buck Clutch Problem #10  
Here is a suggestion from Soundguy, a (borrowed from another thread) frequent and respected member here: My sugestion is to go ahead and block the clutch and walk away for a few days.. then come back and check.. many times they pop loose on their own.. if not, go ahead and get it in gear and start it... not super easy.. but with a lil jumper wire you can do so from the op seat.. keep the clutch blocked and drive it around in figure 8's stomping on the brakes.

if that don't do it, you can also use your lil jumper wire to set there and bump the starter over with her in high gear and the clutch blocked and try to pop her loose.

lastly, put a pto load on her like a mower and start her with pto engaged a couple times.

one or more of those have always worked for me in the past... have yet had to split one from a stuck clutch.. though do realize that in some extreme cases.. you don't have much choice.

have enen pulled starters so I could get a poker in there to tap around on the clutch too..

post back.

soundguy