Is 10.5 volts at the glow plug sufficient?

/ Is 10.5 volts at the glow plug sufficient? #1  

Coonhound1

Tractor
Mitsubishi D1600II
I have a very hard starting D1600II. I loosened the nut at the injectors and it has fuel, plenty of black smoke from the stack while cranking and the air filter is clean. It takes forever to start but it always does. Everything seems fine except the 10.5 volts at both glow plug wires with the key turned back or on start. Is this 10.5 volts enough?

/ Is 10.5 volts at the glow plug sufficient? #2  
IDK specifically about that model, but MOST glow plug circuits have a resistor to drop the voltage some. If it is designed to operate at reduced voltage, jumping it with a full 12 volts will burn the glow plugs up.
(don't ask me how I know this) :rolleyes:

/ Is 10.5 volts at the glow plug sufficient?
Thanks for that info; I may have tried to put a true 12 volts to it. Maybe a block heater would help.

/ Is 10.5 volts at the glow plug sufficient? #4  
My twin cylinder diesels are particularly harder to start when the temps drop below about 25°F even though they are puffing black smoke (combustion is taking place). So many things are robbing the energy of the starter and combustion when it's cold it isn't a big surprise the engine doesn't take off. Yes, a block heater should eliminate any hard starting issues and would recommend one. As temps dip down to 0 this can make all the difference of starting or not.

/ Is 10.5 volts at the glow plug sufficient? #5  
You can check your glow plugs by removing the wire and bus bar that connects the two together. Then use an ohm meter from top post to engine ground to measure resistance. If you get no reading change (open circuit) the plug is bad, if it reads zero (closed or shorted circuit) plug is bad. It should show a resistance reading. If it does then installing a block heater or even an inline lower radiator hose heater would greatly help cold starts.

/ Is 10.5 volts at the glow plug sufficient? #6  
I'll second what George said about individually checking the resistance of each GP.

A cetane booster added to the fuel can be helpful this time of year. Anything that slows the engine turning over isn't helping - check battery and starter+relay terminals closely for corrosion, and consider using synthetic diesel motor oil if you are not already.

Rgds, D.

/ Is 10.5 volts at the glow plug sufficient? #7  
The black smoke is atomized, unburned fuel tantamount to 'rolling coal' where far too much fuel is injected for whatever air an unrestricted intake tract allows in at lower rpms. While diesel doesn't require a stoichiometric ratio (~16:1) to ignite, having the throttle position rather high could still be called 'rich' and since we want quick heat/ignition when cranking we don't want to cool the chamber by dumping in excess fuel.

I've been known to crank a few turns without lighting the GPs first, thinking that I'm getting oil circulating before actually starting. How much black smoke I see then is due to where I left the throttle position at shut-off, and some preheating of the combustion chamber is probable to that point. What this brings me to is having learned that a certain throttle setting (at shut-off) will start best once the GPs have been warmed (meaning probably 1300rpm warm and about 1000rpm when cold-starting the next session after a week or more parked.)

I had timer on the old Ford that was intended to cut the GPs out after 'x' seconds to save melting them. Heh, on the coldest days I would wait for the light to blink out and then crank briefly. 'Not yet'. Another time cycle and another crank... it'd usually fire up on that second try, but often below 15^F it'd take a 3rd or 4th attempt.

Anyway, I suspect that condition/cleanliness of the air cleaner elements may be one of the things we can act on to improve starting at the worst of times. There's no throttle plate, but as the engine is really an air pump its efficiency is minimal when cranking a say half of its lowest idle speed. That said, I wonder when a compression test might show an engine is just showing its age (rings, etc). We need every bit of that typical 18:1 to 22:1 compression to generate ignition heat. tog

(Could an intake air heater be added as easily as a block heater? JD makes it work.)

/ Is 10.5 volts at the glow plug sufficient?
This forum is awesome...zero resistance on the glow plugs; I swapped them out for a pair of used ones I had here, cleaned up all the connections, and she fired right up. Thanks for all the info.

/ Is 10.5 volts at the glow plug sufficient? #9  
Agreed - I've received my share of help on here too; this is a great sounding board if you are stuck on something.

It's good to hear that was a pretty easy fix for you. :thumbsup:

Rgds, D.